Chapter 44.2

Chapter 44 – Part 2

"Hm, why are you so heartless?"

Saying so, Raniero then wrapped his arms around my waist. The physical contact itself was familiar, but after the scary moment that happened a few days ago, the words that came out of his mouth were so shocking that I stopped being stiff.

...Your Majesty, since when did you consider heartlessness to be a bad thing?

The next moment, Raniero began to ask the paladins quite kindly — was there anything uncomfortable to sleep in, and was the meal suitable for their tastes? — all the while, he brushed my hair or intertwined his fingers between mine.

Although I was used to doing this in front of people, the atmosphere was slightly different today.

It was hard to pinpoint exactly what, but something was different.

Upon hearing Ranieor's greetings, the paladins showed signs of absurdity in various ways. Eden also had a similar expression, but it seemed that the surface of his thought was different. He flinched and glanced at me for a brief moment.

Despite the fact that I tried to pretend I did not notice, our eyes met.

'I thought you said he was crazy, just like the original novel?'

That seemed to be what he was asking through the gaze. However, It was true that he was crazy! It was even more strange that he was doing this now, so it was even more frightening. He is usually bloody.

The exchange of glances was very fleeting—it was just enough for a mosquito to flap its wings once.

But, I caught where Raniero's gaze was directed.

How I knew it was because his gaze suddenly fell on Eden as I looked away.

'Wow, it really felt like it has become bright in front of my eyes*.'

From what happened a few days ago, the relationship between Eden and Raniero in the original story was already formed.

However, there was no bloodshed. It was because the soul of Eden now was a different person, and he knew how to avoid conflict in moderation. As soon as the Emperor's gaze met him, he immediately laid his eyes down.

Raniero, who saw that, strangely felt better.

His dimples, which had been very narrowly formed, became more profound. After that, Raniero, who had been uncharacteristically friendly to the paladins for a while, suddenly closed his mouth. Instead, he hugged me closer.

Why...?

As I was bewildered in his embrace, a soft and tender kiss touched my temple.

...Eh?

Eeeehhh?!

I froze in embarrassment.

Even though I know he was different today, was this not too much? Dumbfounded, I could not even say a single word.

Four strangers were watching the scene. Moreover, they were paladins from the Temple of Tunia. Normally, it would be all right to do this in front of people who worked in the Palace, or in front of nobles. I was already embarrassed enough, and my face was burning.

...Why is he doing this, really!

Raniero's lips did not fall from there. His lips were still on my skin.

When I sneaked a peek at the paladins, I could see their eyes moving busily. As I alternated my glances between Raniero and Eden, I could tell from it that Raniero was still looking straight at him.

'Don't tell me... is he warning him?'

If so, then what?

Although I felt like my soul was going to fly away, I managed to smile and pulled the end of Raniero's sleeve.

"Your, Your Majesty. Let's just let them chat with each other."

"Oh, right."

While his lips finally fell off, the arms around my waist were still firm. Because of that, I had to lean shamefully close to his chest.

'I'm so embarrassed...'

What is this?

...Everyone, do not look at me.

"Then, we'll have to leave."

Those words were nice to hear.

I tugged his sleeve one more time, very timidly, as a sign to go quickly.

"It seems that the Empress is eager to be alone with me."
[ T/N: He's teasing her so much this chapter LOL (๑˃́ꇴ˂̀) ]

It sounds really weird when you say that...!

However, there was no way I could refute his words, and I only smiled awkwardly, shedding tears inside. Fortunately, Raniero's mood was at its peak. He was in a good mood all day.

But, I was not.

It kept on bothering me that Raniero kept staring directly at Eden and kissing me. It seemed as if he was sending him a message, but what the hell was it?

Did he really know that Eden and I met?

Was he saying I should not be making a fool of myself? Did he know the conversations we had that day?

...How far does he know?

Transmigration or magic, I did not think he heard anything like that... If that were the case, he would have questioned me first!

I gazed into Raniero's eyes.

'He doesn't ask me anything...'

Being so concerned, I eventually took the risk and sent a note to Eden through Cisen in the end. I also did not forget to ask her not to open it repeatedly.

His Majesty may have noticed the story between us. What should we do? I'm worried about what happened in the garden today!

Cisen came back with Eden's reply after twenty minutes.

I don't think that's the case.

There was only one sentence written concisely.

What does he mean, he does not think so? He is a fool!

As I burned the note and shook my head while destroying the evidence, I thought I would need to get my act together.