Chapter 68

There was a good reason for taking Count Tocino as the starting point for my escape journey.

First, the County of Tocino was north of the Capital. Passing through here would take me back a bit, but I'd be able to get to the temple without crossing any mountains.

Second, Countess Tocino, despite being a wealthy woman, had a poor standing in the family. She thought it'd be a disgrace to reveal it publicly, so she kept it to herself and intended to gain dignity and authority by befriending me. In short, she was in the position to do everything I wanted. I could tell by the way she was constantly hovering around me, asking if I needed anything.

On the other hand, I was very sensitive to the idea of really leaving. Thankfully, such an appearance helped to support the setting of 'the empress whose health has deteriorated recently.'

While drinking tea with Countess Tocino, I sighed.

"I feel dizzy because there are so many strangers in the mansion."

At my words, the Countess's smiling face froze. I could see how desperate and trepidation my favor was in her eyes.

"Ha, have I caused you any inconvenience?"

"I don't mean to imply that your sincerity is misplaced."

I sighed slightly again.

"I didn't know myself, but I'm just now realizing that when I'm not feeling well like this, rather be taken care of by a bunch of people..."

I glanced at her face for a moment. I knew that she built a villa on the outskirts of the estate after she and her husband had a bad relationship. This was a part that Cisen and Eden had already investigated.

I wanted to stay right there.

And Countess Tocino quickly fell into the trap I had laid at once.

"You-Your Majesty, I have a very quiet villa for you to stay in."

I felt sorry for her because she was so desperate to please me that she didn't see the world around her, still—that was that, and this is this— and I didn't want to mess with the plans because I felt sorry for her.

I asked back with a bright face.

"Really?"

It must be a look of delight because I was actually happy since this was going the way I wanted it to. On the other hand, seeing my expression, Countess Tocino smiled brightly and nodded as if she had finally found some peace of mind.

"It's small but secluded, with a few guards..."

"That's okay. I'm pretty good at archery myself. While Cisen may be weak, she's sensitive to the presence of others, and Sylvia and Daniel are the people of Actilus by nature."

I flatly rejected Countess Tocino's offer. Even if there were some dubious parts, she wouldn't be able to resist. However, the Countess's expression darkened slightly as if this was a condition she was reluctant to bite into.

I put my hand on the back of hers and spoke sweetly.

"There shouldn't be any problem. Word of mouth spreads throughout the capital that the County's security is well policed."

"Is, is that so..."

"Of course. That's why I chose this place as my retreat."

As the Countess blushed at my praise, I drove the final wedge.

"If you allow me to spend a few days quietly at the villa with my people, I'll grant you one of your wishes."

For Countess Tocino, who was eager to get acquainted with me, it'd be a hard temptation to resist. She gazed at me with a rosy, dreamy expression.