Chapter 64

It was an ordinary fall day when he made an unannounced visit to the Empress's palace.

Raniero realized that the Palace was more noisy than usual. Perhaps because of her frequent nightmares, the Empress' Palace had never been so lively since his wife had a quieter personality.

'...What's going on?'

"Congratulations, my goodness!"

"It's late spring..."

"Surely, they must be very pretty..."

As the women were chattering in front of each other, their words were drowned out by the sound of their own voices. Raniero leaned against the doorway without showing any sign of moving. While Angelica sat slightly away from the group, watching the chatty ladies-in-waiting with a smile on her face, two women, presumed to be Sylvia, who was marginalized by other nobles, and the loyal Cisen, stood by her side.

He gazed at his wife's slightly emaciated face for a long time before following the path of her pale green eyes.

With the six women stuck together like a lump, everyone gathered around one person and offered congratulations nonstop. After hearing the rough story, it seemed that the person being congratulated was the Duchess of Nerma.

Today's protagonist spoke in a shy voice.

"Thank you for all the congratulations, but my stomach hasn't even appeared much yet."

"The child is still in your stomach! Looking at the two of you, I can already guess how healthy and beautiful the child will be!"

Raniero asked, taking a step into the room.

"Are you having a baby?"

The atmosphere became quiet, as if cold water had been poured on them. The chattering heads quickly snapped up when they saw the guest's face before they quickly lowered their heads. It was Angelica, who was sitting in her seat, stood up and greeted him lightly before explaining the situation instead.

"Yes, Your Majesty, it's a happy occasion for Duchess Nerma."

"I see."

Saying so, Raniero stared at his wife instead of at Duchess Nerma, whose face was a blur to him. Angelica, who would have blushed and averted her gaze in the past, now looked Raniero straight in the eye.

"Leave."

There were no formal greetings such as congratulations on the pregnancy or offering gifts. However, as they were accustomed to the Emperor's demeanor, they only bowed smoothly and left the Empress' Palace without embarrassment.

It was only when they left that he sat down on the carpet and rested his head on Angelica's lap.

Lately, for some reason, when he looked at his wife, he'd been feeling languid and tired. It seemed that she was still awkward about being at eye level with him since it took her a moment before her soft hand eventually brushed the top of his head.

"They're making such a fuss."

As he spoke, he could hear a small chuckle from overhead that made his ears perk up.

It was such a small laugh.

"They've been putting a lot of effort into having a child since the beginning of the year, so I'm happy that it has come to fruition."

"Effort?"

Repeating the word, Raniero's long lashes fluttered slowly as he rested his head on her thigh and looked into her face.

While he had often taken her flesh, he had never harbored any intention of having children. He was just immersed in being soaked with her pale and thin body, the soft skin, and the faint scent itself. For someone, would such an act become an effort for conception?