Chapter 49.1

Chapter 49.1

"How... do you know a place like this...?"

Raniero didn't answer my murmur.

It was like a dream.

The buds fluttered even in the breeze that sank very lightly. There were so many stars that they looked like they would fall into night rain at any moment.

I stepped down among the flowers.

Startled, the small grass bugs flew up all at once. It looked like fragments of stars were fluttering with pollen on their bodies. As they flew in groups like ribbons following the wind, they soon scattered and landed on the flower field further away.

I crouched down and touched the flower.

It was cold and moist.

Both the stamens and pistils of the petals were shining softly as the petals were translucent that I could see through them.

I continued to wander through the flower fields.

Shortly, the white powder puffed up and then flew away and landed on the other side.

I was ecstatic

It was a moonless night, but it didn't matter because the stars were shining brightly. At first glance, it looked like a brush smeared with white paint in the black sky though if you looked closely, each star had a color.

Some were reddish, some bluish.

After staring at the sky and the ground for a while, I suddenly came to my senses and turned to Raniero.

"How did Your Majesty know this place? I didn't see a single flower like this on the way up..."

Raniero, who had been leaning against the oak tree at the edge of the clearing and watching me, also stepped down into the flower field.

A stream of light flowed around him.

Even the darkness of the night and the cold starlight couldn't take away the saturation from him, and the yellow and red Raniero stood out quite a bit. Perhaps that was why, even in the midst of this ecstatic scene, I couldn't help but lose my gaze on him.

Raniero bent over and plucked a flower, and one more.

The delicate stems slipped too easily into his hands.

"Of course, you wouldn't have seen it because there wasn't any. It's a flower that absorbs sunlight during the day and emits it at night. Things that bloom where the sun doesn't shine don't shine like this."

"You know that well.... What kind of effect does this flower have?"

"Effect?"

"Your Majesty knows so well, I thought it might be a flower with some practical function..."

Raniero's eyes narrowed at my words as he made his way through the flowers and came to me.

"There's no such thing."

Before handing out the flowers to me, unexpectedly, my hands started to tremble and I received the flowers carefully. It felt really strange... it was as bizarre as multiplying all the strangeness I felt when I was in the Palace.

He parted his lips as if to check carefully.

"Well, it's just... because I think you'll like it? Does it mean anything other than that?"

Standing among the bluish flowers, Raniero's colors were heterogeneous. The same was true of his answer.

"...Yes."

My stomach churned. This doesn't seem like something I know...

I gazed at him aimlessly.

"Why?"

"You have a lot of questions."

Raniero immediately put on an expression of annoyance. Still, it didn't look like he regretted bringing me. When I saw that, I walked a little closer to him before grabbing the hem of his sleeve and clutching it tightly.

"If you answer me..."

I bet something I would've never imagined a few weeks ago.

"Then, I'll laugh."

Raniero's eyes blinked slowly at those words. I had seen his face many times, but this was the first time I had been able to examine him so leisurely.

Beneath a straight, tall forehead were neatly arched eyebrows. The eyelashes were densely wrapped around his gorgeous eyes, and the bridge of his nose and jawline were sharp and slender.

I asked again.

"Other than Your Majesty thought I'd like it, there's nothing else to this field of flowers?

An open space filled with plants that were just moist, cold, and shining from the sky was a space that he would never be interested in.

Raniero laughed with a grimace.

"Yes. That's right."

I didn't know what to think of this.

The slender man standing in front of me was the godson of the God of War, the demon of the battlefield. He regarded all human beings as lower beings on a different level from himself and pursued his own pleasure without concern for the feelings of others.

...The most unethical being.

I didn't even have to go far. I had to pass the death penalty countless times because of him that I didn't know what would have happened had it not been for the advantage of knowing who he was... Still, everything I knew about him seemed to crumble little by little.

How could this person be so sweet?

Holding the stem of the flower, I returned one of the flowers that he had picked for me and asked another question.

"Am I special?"