Chapter 46.1

Chapter 46 – Part 1

Cisen spoke, clasping my hand tightly.

"Your Majesty the Empress will be able to overcome the winter hunting, too. You've handled yourself so sagaciously."

"Haha..."

I know she wanted to believe that, but I was running away from this country because I was not confident... Still, there was no need to talk about it right now, right? Anyhow, the knot of trouble that had tied up my hair tight and messed it up had just been untied.

I sighed a little when I saw Cisen, who had a visibly brighter expression compared to the past few days. As for Eden, it was a flimsy lie that I thought would work. Fortunately, one factor worked to my advantage.

It was the fact that Cisen knew nothing about Eden.

So, no matter how many lies I told, there was no way for her to know the truth. Besides, even if she doubts me and asks Eden, Eden would piece together what I had said. He might curse on the inside, but what could he do?

After all, if things went wrong, he would be in trouble, too. In that case, it would be better for him to lose a little.

'I'm sorry, Eden... But, I have a lot to lose!'

Well, of course, this would be the case if Cisen happened to ask him. Because she likes me, she would not do such a thing. She would believe me.

'I'm feeling a little guilty about using the former Angelica's trust...'

Haha, I tried to laugh.

After the sun set down that day, Raniero came. Whatever happened, he seemed to be in a very good mood.

'...What is going on? Did the grandfather archbishop lick the Emperor's shoes?'

Although I was puzzled, it was always a good thing for me that Raniero was in a good mood because he was moody and fickle.

"You look chipper."

So when Raniero said that, I replied with a smile.

"It's because Your Majesty seems to be in a good mood."

The hand that was brushing my hair stopped for a moment after I finished my words.

'...Huh?'

However, it looked like it was just a tangled part of the hair caught on his finger since his hand ran through my hair again just a moment after.

"Does that make you happy?"

I broke out in a cold sweat.

"Isn't that a little strange...?"

As I asked that, Raniero grabbed my hair and rubbed it in his grasp. My hair, which Cisen had oiled and brushed smoothly, became a mess.

"It's strange and amusing."

There was no way Raniero would say nice things. Rather than threatening my life, it was a very gentle answer. I felt happy in the peaceful atmosphere.

Yes, it was a peace that made me happy, not Raniero. Peace!

"I'm a little funny, you know?"

As for me, I have no qualms about saying things like this for the sake of peace. The next moment, Raniero snickered as he combed the tangled hair with his hands.

He seemed to like the answer.

"You're like that."

'Huh? He usually doesn't enjoy himself this much just because he liked the answer...'

It was the first time I had ever seen him so happy like this. He seemed a little gentle.

...Something must have really happened during the day.

After picking me up, he then took me to bed. As he laid me on his lap, he held onto my hands, and I was curious about what he was going to do. Raniero placed my hand on top of his hair. Unsure, I hesitated for a moment before gently stroking his hair.

Raniero softly closed his eyes.

"Well, what else do you like besides me being in a good mood?"

The movement was short-lived because of the strange words that came out of Raniero's mouth.

"...Uh?"

I asked back, confusedly.

"Why are you asking such a thing...?"

Even if he knew what I liked, what would he do? Would he even care about how I feel?

He doesn't care about anything other than how he feels, right?

As if to prove my thoughts, Raniero's eyes lit up. Power entered his bright red eyes while he stared at me with his eyes that asked why he stopped stroking. Even though I was sweating profusely, I had to keep stroking his head.

'Look at this. His feelings are the most important thing...'

Then, as though he liked my touch, his expression loosened more and more as my palms brushed his smooth, fluffy hair. Contrarily, I did not know he would like something like this, so I was a little dumbfounded.

Raniero opened his mouth with a languishing voice.

"You're someone from Actilus now... Shouldn't you love Actilus?"

Another surprising remark came out of his mouth.

At the same time, I almost would have pulled his hair out. With trembling hands, I thankfully managed to hold onto my reason and stroked his hair gently instead.

...Why did he keep saying things like this today?