Chapter 70

Eden was taken aback upon hearing my crying sound.

"Hey."

Still, I didn't feel like being comforted.

It wasn't because I wasn't crying because I was sad. Everything was just complicated. It felt like my head was whipped around with a whisk.

I snapped back fiercely.

"Don't look back. Just keep going."

Eden seemed uncertain whether to listen to me or ignore me and try to comfort me. His words came to a halt.

"Go!"

However, when I called out in a sobbing voice from behind him, he said, 'Okay,' and continued riding. I, too, followed suit and joined the ride, enduring the chilling gusts of wind that relentlessly struck my face and even dislodged my hood. The biting cold threatened to numb the tips of my ears, but I refused to halt or propose a decrease in speed, and instead, I persisted in riding.

Stars began to descend from the top of the sky.

I suddenly felt the urge to shout.

"Aaahhh!"

As I let out a loud, guttural scream from deep within my stomach, Eden turned around in surprise to look at me. He glanced around, but there were no houses in sight.

No matter how much noise I made, there was no one to say anything.

I screamed once again.

"Aaaaahhhh...!"

In a fleeting moment, my scream dissipated into nothingness, whisked away by the relentless wind.

Devoid of any surfaces to bounce off, the sound vanished and evaporated into the atmosphere. Despite the feverish heat coursing through my body, my skin tingled with an icy numbness. I persisted in unleashing my screams at the highest volume as if unburdening myself from a pent-up force. Meanwhile, the horse galloped onward, unperturbed by my cries, propelled by a surge of exhilaration.

After a while, my throat became hoarse.

I burst out laughing.

Somehow, it felt remarkably invigorating. Leaving Actilus with only a handful of possessions, sprinting across the frigid expanse of the plains... it was truly a liberating experience. Even though I didn't know what lay ahead, rather than succumbing to worry, my heart embraced a buoyant lightness.

"Hiya!"

I rode ahead of Eden.

"Hey!"

Panicked, he picked up his pace.

Once again, tears gathered in my eyes. Yet, this time, they didn't stem from the earlier disarray. In the void left by my scream, an ineffable feeling of emancipation started to surge.

I was desperate to survive.

I clung to each passing moment as if my very existence hung in the balance. Until this point, I had always been cautious, fixated solely on navigating through the trials. But now, it no longer mattered whether I screamed or ran to my heart's content.

For the first time, I felt free.

Throughout my past life and even in this new world, I had always been thrust into one predicament after another.

However, now, a sense of liberation washed over me, stemming from relinquishing it all. The frigid air rushed into my nostrils, chilling yet revitalizing. I fell silent and lifted my gaze to the sky. It stretched above me, astonishingly clear, adorned with countless stars that seemed to cascade down in the absence of the moon.