Chapter 55

By 10 p.m., Eden was able to enter the sanctuary as he was on duty to care for the eggs. Apart from him, there was no other paladin who volunteered. The back of his head, as he entered the sanctuary, caught the stinging gazes of his colleagues.

The eggs that he saw up close were larger than expected. They were rectangular, held together like ant eggs, each egg about fifty centimeters in diameter and about one meter in total width. In addition, the shell of the egg was soft, and the surface wriggled when the newborns were about to hatch inside. Even the knights of Actilus, who had seen all sorts of gross things, looked terrified.

Eden also couldn't help but feel sick physiologically.

At the scene in front of him, more than a hundred eggs were initially collected in one place, and only those that were about to hatch were moved to another location to imprint the body odor of the 'mother.' Beast cubs with no eyesight imprinted their mothers with their scent.

Since he took on the role of the imprinting target, the Actilus knights, who secretly ridiculed the paladin of Tunia as cowards, were surprised by Eden's decision but were also secretly grateful. By volunteering for the role they most shied away from, Eden was implicitly excused from doing boring and uninteresting jobs, and it was left to the Actilus knights to sort out which eggs were likely to hatch soon.

So, he was able to tour the sanctuary relatively freely until the eggs cracked in the shell came out.

As he lit up the sanctuary with a torch, although there were traces of rainwater leaking or places where the wind came in, it was a neat ruin for a long-neglected one. It may be because the monsters chose it as a place to lay eggs and carefully decorated it.

It was a strange feeling.

He was classified as a rational and calculating person... still, this place strangely blinded him.

The groundless thought that there would be something if he came here soon became a conviction and tenacity. More than anything else, he willingly surrendered to the strong attraction. Now was the time to check if his judgment was correct.

After looking around, Eden moved to the library.

When he took a class on the stolen land, he learned that this was a 'great library,' though it was a bit shabby on a scale to name it that way. The Actilus imperial library seemed to be much bigger.

'As I learned, I seemed to understand why they did that.'

It was better because it was small.

After lifting the lamp and measuring the scale of the whole, Eden tried to let the light reach the entire room as much as possible. The surface of the old, worn stone walls reflected the light of the lamps, leaving bright yellow clusters on each brick.

But somewhere, there was a space that was dark and dark as if sucking in the light of a lamp.

He approached that way.

While the sound of footsteps in an empty room reverberated excessively, adding to the tension, his nerves were on edge and he was frowning. Would he catch sight of something? Feeling as if something might come out, he thought it might be better to come when the day was bright...

Still, he continued to move, ignoring the warnings of reason. Like leaves being pushed by a mighty stream, Eden leaned toward the torrent of darkness.

It was a stone gate.

It was open about twenty centimeters, and there seemed to be another space inside.

Then, he let out a sound inside.