17

CHAPTER 17

Seeing these thirteen words, Xiao Yuan suddenly realized the significance of ‘getting married’ to ordinary people.

Married as husband and wife, there is no doubt about their love. Marriage tied together two people who were not related by blood so that they spent the rest of their lives together; for wealth and glory, in old age, sickness and death; they would never part until they died.

Such an awesome thing was a condition for him to be free; and for Gu Louyin, it was a condition for the salvation of his Shixiong. It was ironic to think about it.

Gu Louyin’s demeanor was the same as usual, only a trace of tension and expectation was hidden in his eyes blocked by the long eyelashes.

Xiao Yuan returned the purse to Gu Louyin and said, “Between you and me, there seems to be no need for this.”

Gu Louyin took the purse, slowly closed his palm and did not force it, “En.”

Luo Lan began to decorate the farmhouse. The doors and windows were plastered with the word ‘happiness’ and big red lanterns were hung under the eaves. He used an empty room as a bridal chamber, hung red silk, placed red candles and replaced the bedding with brand new wedding quilts.

It looked novel to Xiao Yuan so he asked, “Where did these things come from?”

“They were all personally selected by the young master in Huaizhou.”

Xiao Yuan coughed lightly and said, “He had quite a lot of free time.”

After Luo Lan posted the last ‘happiness’ word, he leaned over to Xiao Yuan and said, “Master Xiao, do you like our young master?”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because you are clearly looking forward to getting married.” Luo Lan said with a smile, “I can tell.”

Xiao Yuan’s eyes lit up again, bright and beautiful, as if full of autumn water. Now he has restored a bit of his original beauty and brilliance. He propped his chin and said with a little smile: “Yes, I am looking forward to it.”

On the 19th of the third month, Xiao Yuan was awakened by Luo Lan before he had slept enough. Luo Lan, a teenage boy, was more nagging than a city matron and kept mumbling something about the auspicious time. Xiao Yuan was too sleepy and didn’t bother to move, so he let him toss around.

Dressing him in wedding clothes and combing his hair, Luo Lan took out a box of rouge and asked, “Would Master Xiao like to apply this?”

“…no need.”

“But your face doesn’t look very good and there is no blood in your lips. You still look sick.”

“That’s what I am, Gu Louyin can marry or not marry.”

Luo Lan said helplessly: “Then this crown and red veil…”

“It’s all right,” Xiao Yuan said absentmindedly, “why would two men get so fancy?”

Luo Lan looked at Xiao Yuan in the mirror. Even if he refused to wear the red crown, even though his face was diminished, he was still hauntingly beautiful, so beautiful that one’s breath became short and hot when looking at him.

Luo Lan compromised: “Okay, don’t wear it if you don’t want to. You look good anyway.”

After dressing, Xiao Yuan walked out of the house with Luo Lan’s help. Gu Louyin had been waiting in the courtyard for a long time.

The two of them looked at each other, both stunned.

This was the first time Xiao Yuan had seen Gu Louyin wearing clothes other than plain white. He was dressed in a scarlet wedding dress, tall and jade-like, still clean and refined, like an exiled immortal who had fallen into the mortal world and had been seduced by some demon spirit.