Diego

*****Chapter 9 - Diego*****

*****
Chapter 9 - Diego
*****

"So you gonna tell me how a female ends up as a cop?" Ace asked as the pair sat in her front seat, half eating their way through a burger and portion of chips.

"Been in the force for ages, signed up for homicide after a real brutal one back home." Oakley mumbled as she shoved more chips in her mouth.

"You wanted to be a detective because someone got murdered?" Ace asked curiously, wanting to dig up more already.

"It was a real rough one, husband and wife." Oakley mumbled, taking another bite of her burger.

"Did you know them or something?"

Oakley hesitated before nodding. "Yeah I knew them."

"Close?"

She shrugged. "Normal amount I guess. Thought by becoming a detective I could figure it out."

"And did you?" Ace asked as he shoved more chips in his mouth.

Oakley shook her head. "My now-partner did, I went in as backup and it was this big showdown. Diego took a bullet to the shoulder saving me."

Ace's eyes widened. "Can't imagine taking a bullet for someone."

Oakley shrugged slightly. "I felt kinda obligated to stay with him while he recovered. Then when we finally came back to work Cap had partnered his old partner up with mine and well-" she shrugged slightly.

"You two became partners." Ace said with a nod as he finished his burger.

"Pretty much been inseparable ever since." She confirmed with a nod.

"So where is he now?"

"Back home finishing up paperwork for our last case."

"What was that?" Ace found himself slightly intrigued.

"Some guy murdered his cheating girlfriend, sliced and diced her up like you'd slice a potato to make chips." Oakley spoke as if it was all completely normal for her.

However, to Ace, who quickly dropped the chips he was holding, it wasn't normal.

"Sounds like a friendly guy." He grumbled, now put off his food.

Oakley nodded. "Could say that, he laughed the whole car journey after we cuffed him."

Ace turned to her blankly. "Seriously?!"