Alone

*****Chapter 13 - Alone*****

*****
Chapter 13 - Alone
*****

"You don't think it was Billy do you?" Oakley asked as she walked side by side with Diego into the diner.

Diego hesitated but shook his head. "Honestly? I don't think it was him. The guy was properly torn up."

"You reckon it could be a cobra?" Oakley asked as the pair sat at a table.

"Would make sense as to why Charlie ain't dead. Trying to shift the blame off themselves so they shoot one of their own but don't kill him." Diego mumbled as a waitress came over.

In a few minutes they had ordered brunch and the moment she left shop talk started again.

"Bit strange how the moment Ace leaves your sight, one of his own is shot." Diego spoke again. "I mean if it weren't him then someone had to know Ace was sticking by you."

Oakley nodded. "If it wasn't Ace they also knew that he wasn't with me at night."

Diego sighed slightly. "Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't found you again."

"Give it time, though he might be a bit preoccupied." She mumbled. "Words going to get out about Charlie quicker than anything."

"Suppose his reaction could tell us a lot." Diego nodded as he looked about. "Hey what's that tale about speaking the devil's name too much and he turns up?"

Oakley shrugged as she looked up at him. "I don't know, why?"

Diego only raised his eyebrows as he stared behind her.

Just as Oakley turned, she saw Ace coming straight in the diner and walking over to her. The look on his face meant he had clearly heard about Charlie.

"I need to talk to you." He fired out down at her.

"Morning to you too." Diego mumbled as the waitress brought over their coffee.

"Alone." Ace fired out as he kept his eyes on Oakley.

Diego purposefully pulled his gun out as he placed it on the table, in front of Oakley.

She sighed slightly as she grabbed it and stood up. She managed a quick swig of her coffee as she nodded towards the disabled toilets nearby.

Ace followed her in and instantly shut the door, locking it behind them. Oakley couldn't help herself but gripped the gun a little tighter, she wasn't scared but Ace was still a suspect.