One month later...

*****Chapter 37 - one month later

*****
Chapter 37 - one month later...
*****

"Officer Jasper Flint may have been a pain in everyone's backsides, with his constant asking of pointless questions, even standing outside a murder scene all he could ask was if the new detective preferred baseball or football." Ashton started as he looked out at everyone gathered.

"But he was also one of our bravest. He never cared about putting in extra work, he'd stay late to finish paperwork, he'd go the extra mile to make all our lives easier and he chose to give himself to God every Sunday in helping anyone that needed it."

"He was a good man." Ashton paused as his hand went to his mouth for a second. "And he loved everyone in this town, just as I know you all loved him."

Ashton's eyes once more scanned around the sea of upset faces.

"So we believe it's only fair you all know the truth." He paused as he took a breath and looked down at the sheets of paper in front of him.

"Jasper was cruelly tricked, conned and brainwashed into believing that God wanted him to commit acts so harsh. He was lied to and in turn he doubted his own sanity."

Ashton saw everyone's faces change as they heard the truth.

"He had his beliefs and religion used against him in a manner that you wouldn't wish on anyone. Your old police Captain Bryce Charleston had him believing that God chose him to kill." Ashton's voice flooded the area as gasps were heard.

"Yet-" he paused. "It is our belief that Jasper was stronger than this. He knew that he was stronger than this."

His eyes found Martin's in the crowd as he took a deep breath.

"So he shot himself."

More gasps were heard as Ashton saw the pain still in Martin's eyes.

"He chose to sacrifice himself so the puppet controlling him had no more control." Ashton continued. "He freed himself and for that, he probably saved more lives than you can count on your fingers."

"So in honour of him, as we lay his body to rest with the justice he deserves." Ashton took one final look up at everyone. "I'd like you all to bow your heads and remember, not the killer you were taught to see, but the hero you know him to be."

Silence fell in the graveyard as everyone did as asked. The soft sound of music played from the church as Jasper's coffin was lowered into the ground.

*****

"Nice speech Cap."

Ashton spun around as he saw Diego and Oakley stood there, each holding a glass.