spider amongst roses

"Beloved sister!" The king Joffrey's voice sounded through the throne room as he entered. Joanna turned around to acknowledge her younger brothers presence. He'd grown- he was taller but still a mischievous smirk plastered on his face

"And here I thought you were avoiding me." he grabbed Joanna by the shoulder as he forced her to face him. Joanna yelped at the aggression of his hand as she pulled back "If only you know how much we've all awaited the day of your return."

He laughed. Joanna's face remained blank as she simply bowed "Thank you my king." Joffrey hated when Joanna did that. When she didn't react. Joffrey gained a sense of purpose and pleasure out of tormenting everyone, but particularly Joanna.

How could he not? Since birth he was compared to his perfect sister. The diplomat, the strategist and swordswoman. Since a young age it was made very clear to him that if Joanna had been born a boy, she would have accended to the Iron Throne.

"Come, leave the formalities sister." He excused "Rather tell me about your ventures in the North." He toyed

Joanna couldn't show him lip, she couldn't give him reason to hurt her. Not only because she would retaliate but also for the sake of her child. Her gowns and sleeves were becoming more extravagant but it had only been 5 months, she was already showing enough that it seemed a surprise no one had been able to realize. Though Joffrey was so self conceited that he wouldn't care to notice.

"My ventures?"

"I hear you took uncle Jaimes sword and was the one to capture him in the battle of the Whispering Woods." Joffey asked

Joanna nodded her head "Yes... it feels like a lifetime ago..." Joanna quietly answered. Her first battle , all of it felt like a distant memory.

"Do you still have his sword?"

"Yes." She still had it underneath her bed, for the nights she was too scared to fall asleep "If I may, why the sudden interest?"

There was no point in tormenting Joanna , not if she couldn't give him the pleasure he desired. It was like the fire in her eyes had died- like she was just living but with no purpose.

"Why? Is it impossible to think I care?"

"Truthfully yes. You've never cared about me." She bluntly answered. The pair said nothing to one another both not realizing how deep their interaction hurt them.

To Joanna, Joffrey would always be the reason she fled home and started a life in the North. Since he was born, aside from Jaime, Tyrion and Cersei, she was cast aside. The true heir and prince- not only that she couldn't forgive him for the years of torment and abuse. The nights she would lie in her bed with her dagger under her pillow.

But to Joffrey, there was no point of salvaging what he had with Joanna. Perhaps it was too late - too much has happened.

Joffrey scoffed "Of course you would find a way to make yourself the victim in this." He spat as Joanna's jaw clenched "I try and be nice and this is my thank you, fucking spoilt-"

Joanna stepped away as the pair faced one another with Joanna looking down on him as she was on a step from the Throne "Don't you fucking say it." She threatened "I am not making a victim of myself Joffrey. It's the truth."

"Oh you act as if you're so innocent Joanna." He rolled his eyes "Forever seeking sympathy and praise from the consequences of your actions." He accused her as both could feel their tempers slowly arise

"I?" Her breath hitched as a floodgates of anger wash over her "You-" she struggled to find the words "I have been second place to you my entire life, and the one chance I had at happiness you took away from me!" She argued back as her palms grew sweaty, she crossed her arms and straightened her back "Since we were children, you have done nothing but cause me pain. Why?"