watchers on the wall

J

on, Robb and Sam stood on their posts as the only form of light was emanating from the fire. Robb had not even hesitated to fight alongside his brother, it was where he wanted to be. Side by side with his brother as their father would have wanted them to be.

"The interesting thing is our vows never specifically forbade intimate relations with women." Sam spoke out of deep thought.

As both brothers turned their head their expressions contrasted one another. Where Jon was dazed and confused, Robb chuckled as Sam's statement. "What?"

"I shall take no wife, that's in there, no denying that." Sam explained "I shall father no children, very specific but what do our vows say about other activities. It's left rather open ended." He hinted

Jon and Robb looked to him incredibly amused "I don't think Commander Alliser cares much for interpretation of our vows Sam."

Sam shrugs continuing the banter "There's nothing for him to interpret. We didn't, so what's it like?"

Robb remained quiet as he looked to Jon to answer. Even still as men , his brother managed to get pale and flustered when it came to a womans body "It's like there's this person... this whole other person and you're wrapped up in you and ... in them" As Jon explained Robb stiffled his laugh much to the displeasure of his brother, in turn both Sam and Robb bellowed out laughter "Well ,I don't know. I'm not a bleeding poet."

"No, you're not."

Robb recognized the look on Jons' face as he stared off acorss the wall. It was the same look he had on his face the second he saw Joanna. "Who is she?" he asked his brother

"What?" Jon turned to him

"I recognize that look anywhere. It's a girl, isn't it? This whole other person you mentioned."

"I suppose so... but it's more complicated than you think." Jon replied and no one more than Robb understood what he meant. "She'll be the one to shoot an arrow through me tonight."

The realization hit Robb as he placed a hand on his brothers shoulder "Did she make you happy?"

"Yes. More than I had been in so long but none of that matters because I betrayed her and now she plans to give my head to Mance Raider. I chose my duty above her."

"And I chose love above my duty." Robb guiltily answered as they remained quiet again. Both brothers understanding that duty was the death of love and love the death of duty. Both lost the women they love because of their choices but there was no other way. After all they were the sons of Eddard Stark- their honour was what they stood for, but Robb had to ask himself was it all worth it if they both lost the ones they loved.

The battle horns sounded alarm as Robb felt a rush of adrenaline that he long had forgotten. He and Jon marched to the edge of the wall of the castle as they looked down at forests burning for miles on end. Beneath the shadows of trees stood more Wildlings than he could ever have imagined. He turned to face his brother as both respectfully nodded to one another - praying this wouldn't be the last time one another see each other.

Jon left as Robb could feel his heart racing. He looked to his left as he realized he did not have his battalion anymore. There was no Shae, no Theon and no Joanna, as he gripped the handle of Ice, he reminded himself who he was and to what he was capable of. Seeing the fire stretch , the red wedding played over his mind.

Only this time he didn't feel its fear, seeing fire, thinking of how Walder Frey slaughtered his bannermen, only angered him more. The sight of fire making his hand jitter as the coldness of his sword sent a shiver down his spine. He wasn't scared anymore, he was furious.