Chapter 8

Gabe's POV

I was a little shocked to walk in and see Luke holding hands with some lady, their heads bent close together and his face looking like he was going to climb across the table and ravish her. Then I saw her face. She was breathtaking - pale blond hair and soft brown eyes, much lighter than Luke's deep chocolate ones. The way she bent her head made me want to grab her hair and push her into a presentation position. Then she started talking and I saw my husband come alive. He was completely captivated by her. She was the perfect mix of feisty and demur, quick-witted but also authentic. Her reactions to Luke's constant reference to orgasms were priceless, but when she gave us her little speech, I saw her face turn into a portrait of pure bliss. I wanted nothing more in that brief moment to sketch her and capture that raw look.

After visiting for a while longer, I watched as she walked out with a bounce in her step then turned to Luke, "Okay, spill. How the fuck did all this just happen?"

He fell back into his chair and let out an exaggerated sigh, "I'm blessed, what can I say?" I slapped his arm and he laughed, "Really, I don't know. She was sitting here looking like someone stole her lunch money so I offered her a streusel in exchange for talking. It just spiraled from there." He grinned widely, "She's amazing isn't she?"

"You do realize she's the same fucking Marissa we were just talking about yesterday, right?" I asked him and watched as the dots finally connected.

"Wait, oh fuck, I think I just had an epiphany," he said, snapping his fingers.

"Well, fucking spill it already," I snapped.

"She's having relationship troubles. Apparently, she's in a poly relationship of sorts and things aren't working anymore. But I think it's more complicated than she's saying. If my guess is right, she's sleeping with the director and his wife. She said they were her only friends." He frowned, "That's so sad. I mean to have all that money, but no real friends, and then to lose the man you loved. Damn, now I need sweets," he grumbled.

I watched as he started to go down the rabbit hole and quickly pulled him into a kiss, "Lucian, stop." His eyes met mine as I stroked his cheek. "We'll be there for her. We can be her friends and we won't expect anything from her. Besides, I think Owen and Kota were planning on taking the contract with her firm, so we'll see her more anyway." That perked him up instantly. He had such a big heart and wanted everyone to be happy all the time. It hit him and Silas the hardest when Sang left. There were times I worried about Luke's mental health and even his safety.

"You're not mad that I flirted are you?" he asked.

"Of course not," I reassured him, kissing him again, "I know whose bed you sleep in, beautiful. Besides, I think you really helped cheer her up. That can't be a bad thing." He grinned and leaned his head onto my shoulder. "Hey, maybe we should go to the club Friday and find a playmate for the night, what do you think?"

His brown eyes twinkled, "Maybe we could sign up for the random spot with the masked lady?" I raised my eyebrows. "I know, I know, I told Owen to leave her alone, but I'm not trying to chase her down, I just want to make her scream," he laughed, "I blame Marissa. You really should have heard that moan, Gabe. It was fucking life-changing." His eyes glazed at the mention of it. Well, fuck, now I'm curious.

****

When I left the bakery, I headed to Victor's office. I threw the clothes bag over my shoulder as I headed up the elevator. When I reached his office I stood at the door watching him as he worked. "Didn't anyone ever tell you it's not polite to stare?" he said without even looking up.