Chapter 91

Multiple POVs

Jackson's POV

My hands were clenched around the arm of the chair so tightly I swore I heard it crack. Next to me, Dominic Giovanni drew in a sharp breath, "Did he really just..." his voice trailed off.

We watched as the scene continued to play out. A waiter snuck behind Silas and injected him with something. The man swayed and then fell, crashing to the floor unconscious. Murdoch came waltzing in soon after going straight for Marissa. He waved a small bottle under her nose and she jolted upright. He took her vitals, then whispered in her ear as a wide and loving smile broke across her face.

"What the actual fuck," Dominic swore. I did my best to not agree out loud with his sentiment. I'd had my fill of that son of a bitch. Murdoch was getting far too cavalier with her safety, not to mention the risks to our daughter. I was contemplating reaching out to the Judge when Dominic spoke again, "How is she so calm? She's acting as if nothing happened."

"Because to her, it didn't," I scoffed. "He's got her so far into the fantasy that his reality is hers." I couldn't help the bitter tone of my voice, and Dominic noticed it too.

He cleared his throat, "Jackson, not to butt in further, but what's stopping him from erasing you from her mind as well? I mean, if he can do all of this in a matter of hours, then what else can he do?" My eyes snapped up to meet his. The look of concern on his face was genuine. I hadn't even considered that to be honest. I mean, Murdoch had already bragged on the plane that she belonged to him and that he would take her away eventually. How could I stop him? Does the Judge even know what is really going on? "Jackson?" I was snapped out of my thoughts when Dominic shook my shoulder.

Straightening up, I stood, "I'm not sure what you're implying, Mr. Giovanni. Let's go check on the patients." Although he seemed sincere in his concerns, I couldn't trust that he wasn't a plant from Murdoch or the Judge. The Academy was infamous for testing the loyalty of its members. I quickly made my way back to the room we had been given. My body tensed when I walked in and saw Murdoch sitting on the edge of the bed with her hands in his, their foreheads bent close together. I cleared my throat. Her eyes lifted to mine and she gave me a brilliant smile.

Stretching out her arms she cried out, "Jackson! I was so worried!" I crossed the room and scooped her into my arms as Murdoch moved aside.

"Love, why are you worried?" I asked, stroking her hair. I wanted to yell to the rafters when I saw the deep bruise marks on her neck.

"The accident," she said, her eyes brimming with tears. "Kyle was just telling me about it. He said you were on your way to check on me, but I was so scared. Why must people be so mean? I can't believe that mugger tried to hurt me and our guard."

I looked at Murdoch who just nodded slightly. So he fed her a story about a mugging to hide the truth. I wonder what he will tell Mr. Korba? I placed a gentle kiss on her lips, "You're safe, my love. That's all that matters." She sighed and snuggled into my arms. The way she clung to me made my heart sing.

"We'll let you two spend some time relaxing," Dominic said. "I'll have some warm tea sent up for Mrs. Porter's throat."

I gave him a grateful smile, "Thank you, Dominic." Then he and Murdoch stepped out the door.

Sean's POV

I'd watched on the cameras as the scene had played out. I was furious and sickened all at once at the way both of them seemed to believe the scene completely. I paced back and forth as I waited for Silas to be brought in by Luca and his men.