Chapter 68

Sean's POV

I got the page to come to the ER and was confused. I wasn't scheduled for a rotation today. I rounded the corner and was met with North's tear-stained eyes. I felt like my knees were about to buckle. "North," I said, trying to stay calm.

He grabbed me, crushing me against him. "We didn't know what to do. She just collapsed, then she was seizing, and she wouldn't stop," he babbled in between sobs.

"Where is she?" I finally demanded.

He pointed to the right. "Room 102. They're only letting one in at a time. Silas is already with her."

One, my ass, I thought as I stormed into the room. Marissa was connected to several monitors and looked deathly pale as Silas held her hand, whispering softly to her. Dr. Torres was talking with the nurse but acknowledged me as soon as I entered the room. "Sean, I'm glad they paged you. Your husbands said you were on shift."

"James," I said, taking the chart he held out to me. "I'm surprised to see you, um, I mean after the incident at the office."

He grimaced, "Yes, well, I'm the on-call OB for this week. If you want another doctor, I'm sure I can contact someone."

I shook my head, "No, I'm sure it will be fine. She can tell us otherwise if it bothers her," I assured him. "What happened?"

"Did you get any of the texts?" Silas asked. I patted my coat, realizing my phone must be in my locker, and shook my head no. "We took her into the office to meet a client. Jackson is suing them for leaving the company and working with her. She was upset, but seemed okay, then just collapsed and started having a seizure." He looked down at her as if afraid she was going to break.

"According to the paramedics, she seized for almost ten minutes before stopping without any intervention. As you can see, brain function seems normal and there are no indications the baby was harmed. She just hasn't woken up." Dr. Torres added.

I pulled the stool next to her bed and sat. "This isn't the first time. Before we knew she was pregnant she collapsed and then remained unconscious for several hours. I've run dozens of labs and can't seem to pinpoint what it is."

"Silas mentioned that Axel said a doctor once attributed it to a stress reaction," he said. "I'm assuming since the man who attacked her is now trying to go after her career, she's definitely dealing with stress."

"Her father is facing murder charges in the death of her mother. We are supposed to leave for Houston in a few days," I added. Silas suddenly jolted and grabbed his phone out of his pocket, swearing loudly. "What is it?" I asked.

He stormed toward the door, "Pull the curtains and lock the door. Jackson's here and demanding to see his 'wife'," he growled.

"No, you stay. You're more capable of keeping him from crossing that door, Silas, than I am," I said, pulling my coat on and closing the curtains. "Let me deal with him from a hospital perspective." Silas grumbled but resumed his spot near her. "You good?" I asked Dr. Torres. He merely nodded.

I stepped through the door, pulling it securely behind me and waiting to hear it lock - which it did, then went around the ward in the opposite direction to meet Jackson at the information desk. He was ranting at the receptionist while North was pulling Axel back. "Oh, Dr. Green, thank goodness you're here," the woman said. "Um, this man is claiming to be the husband of Ms. Ryland and demanded to see her. I told him he would need to speak with her doctor of record first."

"Mr. Porter, how can I help you?" I asked him calmly.

Jackson looked me up and down then scoffed, "You can't be her doctor."