Chapter 11

Marissa's POV

I was surprised by Jackson's reaction to the Blackbourne group and their requests. I reminded me far too much of my father and when they asked about dinner I jumped at the chance to leave the office under their watchful eyes. It's odd. I've spent a small amount of time with them, but I felt comfortable. Even with the events at the dungeon, I knew they didn't want to hurt me. I felt bad for running off on Owen. He looked so hurt when I used my safeword, but I just couldn't do it. I didn't mean for things to go so far. Then in the meeting, I almost called Sean Doc. That would have given all of it away in an instant. I'd have to keep my wits about me with this bunch. They made me feel far too relaxed.

"So sugar, have you been to Gilardi's before?" Luke asked, grabbing my hand as we sat in the backseat of Victor's car.

I smiled remembering the last time I was there. "It's been quite a while, but yes, I've been there. I love their seafood pasta, not to mention the tiramisu is divine." He flashed a wide grin and we rode the remainder of the way making small talk between the four of us.

Stepping into the dim lighting of the restaurant, I felt a tug at my heart. "Signora Ryland, è passato troppo tempo!" the hostess said as she greeted us.

Giving her a brief hug, I asked, "Giulia, sei meravigliosa! Come sta la tua famiglia?"

"Bravo, impegnato come sempre," she said, then switched to English addressing Owen, "Ahh, Mr. Blackbourne, so nice to see your family again as well. We have your room ready. Your wines are chilled and airing now."

"Thank you, Julia," Owen said and took my arm to guide me as we followed her to one of the back banquet rooms. "I had no idea you were fluent in Italian, Marissa," he said as he pulled out a chair for me. "Do you speak any other language?"

"The perks of being the daughter of an oil man," I scoffed, "Father wanted to make sure I understood the business transactions so he made sure I learned the languages he saw fit. I speak several languages, including Spanish, Arabic, Irish Gaelic, French, and German. I attempted Japanese once but it went horribly and sadly I abandoned it. Italian was my own choice. I did a year abroad during law school and fell in love with Florence."

"That's an odd location to study law. What made you decide on Italy?" Kota asked.

I gave him a sheepish grin, "A boy. I met Winston in my first year of law school, but he was a senior. When he took a job in Italy, I followed and worked in an apprenticeship for a year before returning to finish my degree. He returned after I graduated and we married shortly after that." I swirled my wine, a smile still playing on my lips, then looked around at their concerned expressions. "Don't feel sorry for me gentlemen. I loved my husband and he loved me. Yes, our time was cut short, but I wouldn't trade a minute of it for the world." I cleared my throat and asked, "So how did all of you end up together?"

"Well, most of us have been friends since childhood," Nate said. "Kota, Luke, Victor, Gabe and I grew up together basically. Then we all met Owen and Sean and clicked as friends. A few years later Luke found out about his half-brother, North who was living in Greece at the time. When he came to the US, Silas came with him."

"It took us a long time to admit our feelings for one another. Some of us faster than others, but soon we realized we were so much more than friends," North added.

"It wasn't easy though," Sean said, his voice slightly cracking. "We were all married to the same woman and she couldn't handle the change in dynamics. She divorced us a few years back," he said softly.

I saw the look of pain in his eyes mirrored around the room and just wanted to hug all of them. "Her loss," I said, giving him a reassuring smile. "My apologies if I'm overstepping, but someone recently reminded me that relationships only work if there is communication. She didn't communicate her concerns and try to save your marriage. That's her loss because any fool can see how much you love each other." I looked over at Luke who had a misty-eyed expression on his face.