Chapter 58

Marissa's POV

When we stepped into the hospital I felt my whole body tense. Sean and Owen held my hands as we walked into Dr. Torres's office. We checked in while Raven and Corey sat in the waiting room chairs. "Hello, I'm here to see Dr. Torres," I told the receptionist as Sean and Owen chatted just behind me.

"Name please?"

"Marissa Ryland."

"Ahh, yes, Ms. Ryland, I have you here. Are there any insurance or emergency contact changes?" the woman asked, eyeing her screen.

"Um, not since last week. Is something wrong?" I asked when she frowned.

"Well, we have a note here that your husband called about your care, but he isn't listed as a contact, so I wasn't really sure." My heart stopped. I clenched Sean's hand and felt myself beginning to shake.

"Marissa? What's wrong?" he asked, turning his focus to me.

"Tell him," I said to the visibly upset receptionist, then motioned for Raven and Corey.

"Well sir, we had a gentleman caller who claimed to be Ms. Ryland's husband, but he isn't listed in her file," she explained as they all now listened intently. Raven had his arms around my waist and I seriously believe I'd have fallen down otherwise. I saw all of their expressions darken.

"Did he leave his name?" Owen asked.

"Yes sir, um, it says here, Jackson Porter. He asked that Dr. Torres contact him immediately." The woman showed Owen the screen notes. "He called just this morning. So do we have your permission to add him to the file, Ms. Ryland?"

"Absolutely not! That man is not the father, nor is he my husband!" I said in a hateful tone. "Did anyone in this office acknowledge that I was even a patient?"

She paled. "I...I'm not sure, ma'am, I didn't take the call and it...it's not in the notes."

"We need to see Dr. Torres immediately," Sean said. "Raven, Corey, have her sit down away from any windows." Raven sat us down just a few feet from the desk and they both flanked me. I watched as Sean and Owen had a rather animated conversation with Dr. Torres who looked furious and glared sharply at his receptionist. Sean motioned for us to come. "Sweetheart, are you still up to the test?"

I nodded, "Yeah, we need to get it done, and no offense Dr. Torres, but I'm not sure I can continue care with your office after today."

He shook his head, "No offense taken. I'd just said the same thing to Sean and Owen. I think we should complete the tests and then I'll find you a referral. I'll send the original file with you as well so that nothing is here, just in case." He held his hand out to me, "I'll also be speaking with my staff to determine exactly what if any information was released and/or confirmed."

"Thank you," I said softly as we followed him back to the exam room. Corey helped me onto the table and I lowered my pants below my stomach.

"This will be a bit uncomfortable, but you can all watch on the monitor. I'm going to give you a local to help with the pain, but you will still feel pressure," Dr. Torres explained.

"I can't watch," I whispered and turned my head towards Owen's stomach. I felt the first needle that injected the pain medication, then after a few moments, I could feel the pressure from the amnio needle. I gripped the guys' hands so tight I thought I would break them.

"Almost done, Marissa," Dr. Torres said as he finished taking the sample. I felt a cool sensation on my stomach as he pressed a bandage over the insertion point. "I should have your results in a couple of days. I'll call and one of your fiances can come and get your file at that time. Again, I'm so sorry for what has happened. I'll notify you all immediately if he tries to contact the office again."