Chapter 92

Luke's POV

After the night Marissa and Silas had been drugged, we all became increasingly impatient and nervous. It was obvious that the drug regimen was far more successful than we'd imagined. That bastard Murdoch had double-crossed Dominic. When the suggested thoughts went off script we all panicked. What should have been a session of voyeuristic rough sex suddenly became violent. It took Sean almost three days to convince Silas that he didn't really kill her. Even now, he'd wake up screaming and only North or Marc could console him. We had to keep him under almost constant surveillance so he didn't approach her. As for Marissa, she seemed to have completely forgotten about that night, despite the bruises still lining her throat. She was thoroughly convinced of the mugging story Murdoch had implanted into her mind.

Gabe and I had been spending time in the loft above the stables. Neither of us could handle being so close to her, yet unable to talk with her. I had just finished making strudels when I heard a soft gasp. I looked up to see Marissa staring at me with wide eyes. "Sugar?" I said without thinking. She tensed, her back becoming rigid at the nickname. She didn't move forward or backward, she just continued to stare. Her eyes darted between me and the warm strudel sitting on the counter. "Would you like one? A strudel for your thoughts?" She tilted her head a bit as if remembering the first time we spoke in my shop. I was so lost in her reaction that I hadn't noticed Gabe walk in until I heard his voice.

"Little girl," Gabe whispered in her ear. I saw her entire body slacken at his voice. She still held my gaze but she leaned back into his arms.

"Daddy?" she whispered, blinking slowly. "Lulu?"

"That's right, sugar," I said, smiling softly at her. "We missed you."

Her bottom lip began to tremble and large tears fell, "Please don't let them hurt me. Please Daddy, I'll be good again, I promise. Please let me stay with you and Lulu," she begged.

Gabe spun her around and wrapped his arms around her, "Oh babygirl, I promise we will keep you safe." Her knees buckled and he caught her in his arms. He picked her up bridal style and carried her to the small couch. He sat with her in his lap as I sat next to them, my knees tucked tight. I rubbed her back as he stroked her hair. "We've got you, Marissa, we won't let you go."

He met my gaze and nodded as I pulled out my phone. Group text - Luke: We are in the stable's loft apartment. Marissa stumbled upon us and, well, she slipped. Her little remembers us.

Sean: Shit! Are you sure she's okay? I'm on my way up.

Axel: What if Jackson goes looking for her?

Dominic: I'll have my father cover. Tell them he sent her out with a guard for recon.

Owen: Sounds good. We will all head to the stables. Murdoch left this morning with the two Academy guards. He's reporting on the night with Silas as well as the false plan Leonardo and Aleski suggested to him about Raven. Nate and Kota followed - they got on the jet and left just before sunrise - destination unknown. Nate was able to get a tracker on one of the guards though so hopefully we will get some information from that.

Sean: We need to keep tabs on him. We might even need to get a hold of him and let Raven and his dad work their magic. I need to know how to undo what he's done.

Luke: Can someone bring down some apple juice for sugar?

Kota: Got it, plus a sippy cup for kitten.

I heard the door open and we sat quietly until we saw Sean's head poke inside the door. His eyes fell on Marissa and instantly watered. She lifted her head from Gabe's chest and gasped. "Seany?" She reached out her arms to him and he crossed the room in three strides, lifting her into his arms.