Chapter 85

Multiple POVs

Gabe's POV

"You seriously want me to put my wife out in the open with a price on her head? You have lost your damn mind!" Harry raged as Nico and North tried to explain the plan.

"Harry stop yelling and let them talk," Lily snapped finally. He growled but did as she asked. The rest of her husbands looked just as angry but held their tongues. "Let's take this a step at a time. Now, how will you contact Marissa to even tell her about the plan?" she asked.

"She's wearing a subdermal tracker that she doesn't know about. Once she's in range, I'll hijack her earwig frequency and tell her what's going on," Victor said.

"She only needs to miss by a few centimeters to make it look like a hit," Nico added, "Then our implant will detonate and give the appearance that you've been shot through the heart. Our men will be in position around the cafe to ensure you are taken by our medics to a secure location just as the Giovanni's did with Gabe, where we will declare to the world that you've been killed."

Lily's face blanched at the part where they declared her dead. I gave a sympathetic laugh, "Welcome to my world. Not even Marissa knows I'm still alive."

Lily patted my hand, "I'm sorry Gabe, I know this has to be difficult. I'm just a little overwhelmed."

Silas knelt beside her, "I know this is scary, but we won't let anything happen to you." He took a deep breath and locked eyes with Nico. I almost punched him at his next words. "Nico will be on the rooftop with sights locked on Marissa. Should...should something go wrong, he will...he will do what he must."

Lily gasped, "No!" Silas tried to speak, but she jumped to her feet and shouted, "You will not harm her or that baby, I forbid it! Put me in body armor, use a tranq gun on her, but don't you dare harm her." She jabbed her finger into his chest, "You promise me right now, Silas Korba! Promise you will not harm her no matter what!" She was sobbing as she spoke and Liam had wrapped his arms around her shaking form.

"We promise," Silas said, and Nico echoed.

Marissa's POV

Getting to the roof unnoticed had been easy enough. Staying in a comfortable position as my daughter danced a jig on my bladder was another story. I sighed and tapped my earwig, "I'm in position now."

"Affirmative Girlie," an unknown voice spoke into my ear. I cringed at the handle I'd been given. Even in death my father still tormented me. Judge Roberts thought it was the perfect name since all those old bastards had called me that for years, and I was powerless to object. I just followed orders. I watched the plaza as tourists and citizens buzzed around filling the area with life. For a few moments, my mind drifted to the night before with Jackson. The conditioning was working despite my best efforts to resist. I found myself replaying memories I knew were false but seemed so real. I feared I wouldn't be able to resist much longer, and was counting the days until we arrived in Italy. Even if I'm a lost cause, at least the guys can save our daughter.

I saw a flash of light to my left and searched the area with my scope. Across the plaza, there was a darkened building with a lone sniper. The outline looked male and he was about four hundred meters away from me. I wasn't surprised to see his scope lock onto me as well. He gave a brief nod of his head and grinned. "Checkmate," a deep voice said in my earwig.

I knew instantly by the heavy Greek accent he wasn't Academy, or at least not any of the ones I knew. But what if this was just another test? Before I could question further, I saw Lily, Harry and Liam Anderson walk into the plaza and take a seat at a small cafe. They spoke animatedly as if they didn't have a single care in the world. Shifting my attention from the other sniper, I positioned myself. Either it was a test, or I was about to die. Sadly, I didn't have any option. "Target acquired. Confirmation requested," I said into my earwig.

My breath hitched as I heard a familiar voice. "Change in plans, Marissa."

"Victor," I whispered. "What...what are you doing? Why are you here?"

"We don't have a lot of time," he said quickly, "We know why you're here, and we can't let you do this. Adjust your shot just ten centimeters above Lily's head. We will take care of the rest."

It felt like a switch flipped and I heard myself saying in a flat tone, "I have to complete my mission." I readied the rifle, turned off the safety, and centered my scope.

Gabe's POV

"Marissa, don't do this," Victor begged, "We have a plan, just please listen to me."

"I have to obey my handler and the Academy," she replied, her voice sounding devoid of emotion. Victor's face was flushed with frustration as he shook his head.

I didn't even stop to think, I reached over and pressed down the microphone button, "Spitfire." I could see her eyes widen at my voice. She looked around searching for the camera we had on her. "Please listen to Victor, Marissa. We can save both you and Lily. I promise."

Tears gathered in her eyes and she shook her head, "It's a trick, a test. You're not my Gabriel. My Gabriel died because of me." I could hear her voice cracking as her grip tightened on the rifle.

I took a deep breath and did the only thing I could think of. "Little girl, I'm going to turn you over my knee and paddle that ass until it's red. Listen to Daddy right now, Spitfire! Redirect your aim."

As if by instinct her aim shifted along with her entire body. "Yes Daddy," she breathed. I heard Victor let out the breath he'd been holding as he messaged North and Silas. We watched as Marissa fired a single shot that grazed just above Lily's head and sank into the absorption mat Nico had placed. Lily's body slumped forward onto the small cafe table as the blood pouch made her 'wound' appear fatal. The area filled with screams and we watched as the staged men of the Pappas mafia swiftly stepped in as waiters, police, and medics, whisking Lily and a very distraught Liam and Harry away in an ambulance.

"Good girl," I whispered to her. "I love you."

I heard her sniffle, "I love you too, my Gabriel," and then the line went dead. She looked directly into the camera and smashed the earwig. We watched in amazement as she rapidly dismantled the rifle, stuffing it inside of a fashionable bag, slipped on a very gaudy-looking dress and an oversized hat, then strolled out into the shopping markets, blending in until we could no longer spot her.

Our phones buzzed. Lily and all the Andersons are secure. Harry is furious we didn't tell him before about the tranqs to mimic her death. North texted. Be prepared for an ass chewing.

I'll take a thousand ass chewings if it gets Marissa back home to us. I replied.

Victor stood up and pulled me into his arms, "I'm so fucking glad you came. I don't think she would have listened to anyone else."

My fingertips dug into his shoulders as I held him. The sound of her voice echoed in my mind when she'd spoken to him. I pulled back and kissed him softly, then said, "We need to talk to Sean and Lily. Whatever that conditioning involves, it seems to be working. How much longer can she hold out?"

Author's Notes:  The end is near my lovelies!

Please comment, vote, follow and share!