Chapter 57

Axel's POV

I felt Brandon's arms wrap around me as I stood looking out the window. "How are you holding up?"

"Not sure how to answer that," I muttered and took a drink of my coffee. "I really want to crawl back in a bottle, but I know that won't help her," I admitted. "Honestly, I feel helpless. Corey has to be right, there's got to be someone pulling strings. None of it makes sense - I mean, fuck, they have more than enough evidence to go after the bastard!"

He pressed a kiss to my neck, "I know, love. I feel helpless too. I think we all do, but she still keeps fighting, so we have to as well." He turned me around and took the mug from my hands. Setting it on the table, he cupped my face and kissed me. I felt myself cracking and tears began to stream down my cheeks as I wrapped my arms around him. We stood there as he continued to hold me while I cried.

When my team was first placed together, I never dreamed I'd fall in love with Brandon. He was so angry and distant. He constantly lashed out at everyone except Corey. For Corey and Raven, it was easy. They knew they loved each other from day one, and neither of them were insecure about their sexuality. Even Marc felt comfortable in his own skin. Apparently, he'd never experimented with women much before Kaylie, preferring his one-night stands to be with men - relationships were off-limits in his mind. My father had been a homophobic piece of trash that drilled in my head how evil it was, all the while making me hate myself for my own desires. I'd avoided, repressed, and denied that part of myself for years which only made me into a horrible womanizer. I wasn't happy and it seemed my life mission was to make those around me miserable as well.

When the Academy put our family together, all my hiding quickly fell apart. Raven had pulled me aside one night and asked why I was so angry. When I stormed off, he'd called a family meeting. They were actively talking about kicking me out as their liaison when I came back. Brandon had gotten up in my face about the way I was raging at his brother and then the next thing I know, I'm against a wall kissing him like he was my only source of oxygen - and at that moment, he was. That was a long night of tears, lots of alcohol, and sex. But when I woke the next morning in bed with Brandon, I knew I never wanted to be anywhere else.

"Feel better," he asked softly as his fingers ran through my hair.

"Yeah," I replied, "thank you." North walked into the room and grinned at us. "Has she woken up yet?" I asked.

"She's in the shower now. Doesn't remember a thing about her nightmares," he replied, shaking his head. "Sean's going with her to her therapy appointment today. He wants to make sure she gets referrals for Houston. Silas and I are headed to get more supplies. We're going to work on the second-level framing today. Do either of you want to join us?"

"I'd like to go," Brandon said, "Any way we can make a pit stop? I need to pick up slugger's gift."

He laughed, "Of course. I haven't even started shopping yet. Fair warning, I'm the lame gift person. Every year I swear I'm going to start early, then I find myself on Christmas Eve at a gas station buying junk." I laughed at the mental picture.

"I tend to buy online and pay to have it wrapped," I admitted. "I'm all thumbs when it comes to wrapping stuff."

Brandon grinned and teased, "Slackers."

"Oh shut it," I joked, "Just because you and Gabe are lost twins doesn't mean you need to brag." North raised his eyebrows. "Yeah, don't let the tough biker-guy image fool you. This man can decorate, wrap presents, match colors, and bake. I swear he's fucking Martha Stewart as a man."

North choked on his coffee because he laughed so hard while Brandon just slapped my ass and kissed my cheek. "Shit, you guys are the epitome of don't judge a book by its cover. So far Raven's the only predictable one - and that alone is terrifying."