Chapter 84

Multiple POVs

Erica's POV

When Luke had me call Kota I never expected to find myself in the middle of their plan. "You can do this, Amore Mio," Arthur said, with his hands on my shoulders. I sighed. I hadn't even discussed my blossoming relationship with Kota. He was so worried about Jessica and Trish getting involved with Luca that he didn't notice the addition of Kristoff or the connection between Arthur and me. When Gabriel had been shot, he didn't hesitate to fly down to comfort me. Mafia or not, that was the sign of a good-hearted man.

"Can you stay in the room in case I miss something?" I asked him. He nodded and sat nearby as I dialed the phone.

Lily picked up on the second ring. "Hey Erica, how are you?"

I took a shaky breath, "Have you seen the news recently? There've been some issues - it's a bit rough here."

She paused, "I saw about Gabriel. How is everyone holding up? Any festivities planned?" Her phrasing let me know she understood.

"The usual shenanigans," I responded.

"Oh shoot, I have a client. Can I call you back?" Lily asked. Victor nodded.

"Of course," I replied. "I'll be here all day." I hung up the call and looked at Victor who was watching the monitor. The screen pinged and he quickly opened the screen to see Lily and Harry Anderson staring at us.

"Okay, what the hell is going on that you dragged Erica into this?" Harry demanded.

I replied before anyone else could, "It was the only way to keep them and Lily safe, Harry. The Academy has put out a contract on Lily - they're sending Marrisa after her." They both gaped and I noticed Lily begin to shake slightly.

"I never thought they'd do it," she whispered. "I mean, it's been years - why now?"

"They're cleaning house," Arthur interjected. "They've put a contract out for Dr. Green as well, and I assume the others will follow soon enough if we don't stop them."

"And who the hell are you?" Harry gruffed.

Arthur inclined his head, "Sorry, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Arthur Carini. I'm here to help Erica and her family in any way I can." I saw the recognition come over both their faces and reached out to take Arthur's hand in mine.

"Where are you?" Lily asked.

"We're in Italy. At the Giovanni family compound to be specific," Victor replied. "Before you ask, yes we are working with several mafia families to help rescue Marissa and hopefully end the Academy once and for all."

"So I'm assuming you have a plan to help keep Lily safe?" Harry asked.

Owen cleared his throat, "We do, but you may not like it. Are you familiar with the Pappas family in Greece?" They both groaned as Owen started explaining everything.

North's POV

It had been years since Silas and I had been in Athens. Driving the streets we used to work as rebellious teens was interesting. Silas grunted as a boy darted in front of the car, making me slam my brakes. We chuckled as we watched his friend trying to panhandle the now-stopped cars. We had pulled the same scams as boys. The trick was to distract one window while the other kid would reach through another open window and snatch whatever looked like it might earn money - purses, phones, computers, etc. We quickly rolled up our windows all but a thin slit and held out a twenty-dollar bill from each window. The boys grinned and nodded, realizing we knew their ruse.