nine

Another week has come and gone. Usually I'm excited for the week to end because that means two days of no stupid classes or dealing with stupid people, but this weekend is different. Tomorrow is the homecoming dance. I haven't really spoken to Haerin as much this week after that moment we had earlier this week other than tutoring. She did congratulate me for making a B on my math quiz, but other than that it has been strictly business.

"Minji I'm nervous, what if I screw up?" Tonight is the night of the big homecoming game. Everyone and their mother is coming to this game. It is also the first time we are showing our new cheer routine during half-time, so of course Hyein would be nervous.

"You'll do fine, I promise. You've been doing well for the past two weeks. There is no doubt in my mind that you'll kill it tonight." I rub the younger girl's shoulders trying to keep her calm. Hyein is usually very confident so seeing her like this is really off putting.

"I think that is the nicest thing you've ever said to me." I roll my eyes at the freshman and shove her a little to the side opening my locker.

"That is just simply not true now scram before I make you run suicides before the game!" Hyein's eyes wideneed in a comical way and she scurried down the hallway. I giggle to myself as I put all my books away for the week. There is no way I'm getting any work done this weekend so there is no point in bringing them home.

"Hey you coming to the game tonight?" I close my locker and turn to the left and see no other than Jake beside me.

"That's a joke right?" Like he knows I'm captain of the cheer team I have to go...it is mandatory.

"Hahaha yes of course. You just looked a little on edge this week so I wanted to lighten the mood." Jake is sweet and I should like him, but I don't. I can't help but be annoyed everytime he opens his mouth recently.

"Thanks I've just been trying really hard to pull up my math grade so I can get into good colleges." Jake just nods his head and grabs my cheer bag off my shoulder. Before I could even manage to grab it back he stopped me. 

"I'll carry it for you, it's a long way to the locker room and it's kind of heavy." Whatever, at least I don't have to carry it. As we begin our journey to the girls locker room he continues to talk about the game, the dance tomorrow, and just random other things I'm barely paying attention to.

"This dance is going to be so fun don't you think?" Jake nudges me a little, which in retrospect was meant to be playful, but just made me want to rip his head off.

"Yeah for sure. Super excited." I give him a fake smile and turn my attention back to the random people lingering in the hallway after school. When we turn the corner on the hallway where the boys and girls locker rooms are I am met with a sight I would like to burn out of memory forever. Niki stood in front of the boys locker room with his arm around Haerin talking to her about something. Christ this has been happening all week. Everywhere I'd turn they were together. Can't they get a room?

"Aren't they cute together?" You got to be fucking kidding me. I just hum in response to Jake. There is no way I can give a convincing answer that won't cause any concern. "I think Niki is going to ask her to be his girlfriend after the dance tomorrow." No. No she can't date Niki. I can deal with this weird unofficial thing they have going on, but I can't deal with that.

"Are you serious?" I stop him a little ways away from them and drag him to the side of the hallway. "How do you know?"

"Well Niki told us at practice yesterday that he's gonna ask her."

"I doubt she'll say yes, she doesn't seem like the type to indulge in that." I feel like I'm sweating. Is it hot in here? Jake just looks at me confused and laughs a little.