twenty four

~about 2 years later~

"Minji if you don't wake up you'll be late for your exam!" Hanni? I turn over and blink my eyes trying to adjust to the light when I see Hanni hovering over me.

"What did you say?" I try to turn back over, but she grabs my shoulders keeping me in place.

"Your exam is in thirty minutes, if you don't get up now you'll be late!" Hanni shakes me aggressively. HOLY SHIT! I jump up out of my bed hurriedly throwing whatever clothes I could find and putting on a pair of shoes I'm not too sure are actually mine. "Chill out, don't get too excited." Hanni giggled and flopped on her bed across from mine.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" I yelled from the bathroom where I was now brushing my teeth.

"I've been trying to wake you up for an hour but you just kept mumbling Haerin's name." How embarrassing. Kang Haerin. I haven't seen the love of my life in almost a year. We told each other we would see each other during breaks, but sometimes it just didn't work out. I saw her last for a week after my Freshman year, but she was really busy during then as well so we didn't get any alone time. I miss her so much, more than I've ever missed anyone or anything. I only have this exam then Hanni and I are going home for summer break to work for our parents. So I'll be able to see Haerin the whole summer and then she'll hopefully come to the U.S. for college so I can see her even more. All of a sudden Hanni barges into the bathroom. "If you don't hurry up and stop daydreaming about your long lost love you're going to miss your final and then your life will be over so get a move on!" Hanni rips the toothbrush from my hand and throws it at the sink. She then grabbed my arm, shoved my bookbag into my hands and shoved me right out of our dorm room. Wow.

-

I just finished my last final of the year which I probably failed because all I could think about during it was the fact that I'm going to see Haerin. We haven't talked as much this year as I would have liked to. She's just been really busy with school and college admissions and she also was head of the yearbook staff this year. Also she still has to deal with her father and Niki so it's understandable that she couldn't talk as much as we used to. A buzz from my phone brought me out of my Haerin daze.

Hey, are you going to be back in time for my graduation?

I felt a grin spread across my face from Haerin's text. This is the first time we've texted in almost a month. I'm glad she didn't completely forget about me.

Of course I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I would rather chop off my left leg than miss this big day for her. She is ranked 1 so she'll give a special speech at her graduation. She deserves this, she has worked so hard for so long. She deserves all good things and to get away from her tragic life. I figured the younger girl wasn't going to respond because it has been five minutes since I responded to her, but soon an incoming call was coming from my love.

"Hey! Haven't heard from you in a while." I chuckled a little bit, but the other side of the phone was silent. "Haerin?" After a couple seconds I hear sniffling on the other side.

"Minji my dad said if I go overseas for college I have to pay for it myself. He said he's only paying for me to go to SNU." Shit.

"Haerin, listen to me. I'm going to be home in a couple days and we will figure this out okay?" I try to comfort the crying girl, but it seems like my words didn't help her.

"How? I thought it would be easier once I graduated because I would be away from him, but it seems I'm never going to escape him. I should just accept that this is going to be life and move on." I felt my heart stop at her words. No, she shouldn't just give up like this. I've waited two years, she can't give up just like this.