thirty eight

Minji's POV

"Here you go." I looked up from the tv and right at the wrapped gift Haerin was reaching out to me. Oh? This is the 3rd time this week she has gotten me a present. The first one wasn't really a gift, but a handwritten letter of her thanking me for helping her this summer. It was really sweet, she told me to read it when I was alone and thank God I did because I was crying like a baby. The second gift she went and got a bunch of pens with her name engraved in them and gave them to me since the one she gave me years ago ran out of ink. The third gift is in a large gift bag with a bow on it.

"What is it?" The younger girl just shrugged and placed the bag in my hand.

"Open it." I gave her a small smile and immediately pulled out the gift realizing it's another painting. I turned it over and was in awe. It was a painting of me and my old cheerleading team on the field, but everyone's faces were blurred except mine. My eyes widened looking at the extreme detail of the painting; it must have took her ages.

"It's beautiful!" As I looked closer there was a date on the painting 20210917. What does that mean? "What's the date?" I looked up at the girl who had a shy smile on her face.

"It was the first day I ever saw you." shock went through my body. How did she remember the exact day?

"How could you remember that?" The younger girl just laughed and sat next to me leaning against my side and also looked at the painting.

"You were the prettiest girl I ever saw. I wrote about you in my diary that day." I knew that she had a crush on me...but it was diary material? Damn she was down bad. I feel bad we could have had so much more time together if I would have just opened my eyes and noticed her. It's funny because I knew she existed, but she was just another person walking in the halls that I didn't pay any mind to then one day she was all I could think about. It's funny how things turn out sometimes.

"Why didn't you ever say anything to me?" Haerin just scoffed, moving so she was leaning against the couch and not me anymore.

"You were the coolest, prettiest, most popular girl in school. There was no way I would have a chance with you. You were also with Jake when I started at Ador." I nodded because that all makes sense. Would I have accepted her confession back then? Honestly I don't know.

"I was pretty cool wasn't I?" I smirk elbowing her in the side gently. I still worry about the scarring on her torso even if she says it's not painful anymore.

"You're annoying." The younger girl rolled her eyes, patted my cheek and walked away. I'm not annoying am I? Ah whatever.

-

Haerin's POV

"Haerin, why are you at my house?"

"I texted and called you." The Vietnamese girl just stood in front of her door with her arms crossed.

"And I didn't answer. Look I'm not the sappy friend or helpful friend...I'm the funny friend. I can't help you with this." I frown at the older girl who is being extremely unhelpful.

"Please Hanni! I'll buy you lots of bread!" I clasp my hands together pouting at the older girl. The older girl was breaking I could tell. There was a hint of a smile creeping onto her face. Time to pull out the big guns. I stepped closer to the older girl making my eyes as big as they could go blinking repeatedly.

"Damn your big innocent kitten eyes. Fine, I'll help you!" Hanni groans, pulling me into her house slamming the door behind us.

"Thank you! You just know her best and I don't know what to do. I'm freaking out." The older girl sighs for the 100th time.