twenty one

Christmas break is finally coming to a close and Hanni and I's families are finally back in Seoul. It was really sad that I wasn't able to spend Haerin and I's first christmas together as a couple since I was overseas, but she did call me and we talked for a while. I know she doesn't talk a lot, but it seemed as if she didn't even want to be on the call with me. Somethings wrong, I know. It's probably her father again...I swear I'll kill that man if I ever see him again.

"So have you made up your mind?" Hanni nudged my shoulder as we pulled up into my driveway.

"About what?"

"What college are you going to choose? If you want to get a good dorm you better hurry up and choose." I rolled my eyes at the Vietnamese girl. What dorm I get is the last thing on my mind.

"I haven't made up my mind. I want to talk to Haerin about it first." I wasn't looking at the shorter girl, but I could hear her heavy sigh. We both got out of the car that escorted us back to my house.

"Min... Haerin is a good girl and all, but don't let her staying here influence your decision. This is your life not hers." I just nodded my head. What can I say? I know she's right, but if I leave Haerin here I don't know if our relationship will be able to make it.

-

It's the new year and we are finally back at Ador. Only one semester left and I'm out of this hellhole forever. I've spent the last 4 years here and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything of importance. I mean yeah I was captain of the cheer team, I was always on honor roll, and I have great friends, but it feels like none of that matters when I have no idea what I am doing with my life. My negative thoughts soon disappeared when I spotted the love of my life at her locker.

"Hey! How was your break?" I leaned against the locker after Haerin closed it. I tried to grab her hand but she just pulled it away clasping her hands behind her back. What the hell?

"It was okay. How was yours?" The younger girl wouldn't look me in the eye and she kept looking around as if she was looking for someone.

"What's wrong?" Her eyes immediately snapped to mine like she was caught doing something she shouldn't be.

"Can we talk later?" The younger girl had a sad frown on her face and her gaze fell to the floor.

"Baby what's wrong? Are you okay?" I stepped closer towards the shorter girl wrapping my hand around her arm. Haerin still wouldn't look up at me so I dragged her away into an empty classroom. "Haerin did he touch you again?" The shorter girl's eyes finally snapped up towards mine almost in a panic.

"No no he didn't. Minji I don't even know what to say right now." Haerin sighed and sat at one of the desks that was right in front of me leaving me standing wondering what was on the distressed girl's mind. It was silent for a little bit, almost awkwardly quiet so I sat in the desk next to Haerin so we were eye level.

"Please tell me what's on your mind. I can help you, you don't have to bottle everything inside." I reached out and grabbed Haerin's hands when I saw it. It's the same ring Niki showed me bragging about how it was Haerin's favorite stone. Suddenly I felt the world around me crumbling.

"Minji I'm so sorry."

"Just tell me why. After everything, why?" I tried my best to keep my cool and not be irrational about this, but I feel like i'm either going to burst into tears or go on a murderous rampage.

"Minji I know you don't understand and you probably will never understand, but I have to do this and act the part until I can be on my own. You don't know what it's like at my house. I'm scared to even breathe the wrong way around my father now. Him and Niki have been down my throat about this all break. If I mess up they'll ruin my life. I have to do this at least for now." I get up making my way to the door. "Minji, where are you going?"