twenty seven

Haerin's POV

"I'm going to Yale." It's been a couple days since my graduation party and I finally gained the courage to tell my father I'm not going to SNU.

"Kang Haerin if you do this you'll ruin everything I've been working on these past few years. Mr. Nishimura is at his wits end. One more slip up and he's calling off the engagement. I'll cut you off and you'll never receive anything from me ever again. You will no longer be allowed in this house." My father angrily began throwing everything on his desk around the room, shouting at me. I'm not backing down this time.

"I don't want to marry Niki. I don't want to go to college here. I want to be far far away from you and everything that resembles you. You have spent the last few years making my life a living hell and I won't tolerate it anymore. I'm going to the states and I'm going to do what I want to do." I spit out my words with venom looking at the drunk man in front me directly in the eye. This man has done nothing but ruin my life. He marches over towards me grabbing the collar of my shirt dragging me out of his study and into the hallway.

"I'll give you ten minutes to pack up whatever you want, but then I want you out of my house forever!" He threw me against one of the many statues that graces our hallway then walked back into his study slamming the door. As soon as he wasn't in my sight anymore I started violently sobbing. He is evil, but he is my dad. I vigorously wipe the tears from my face and run up the stairs into my room slamming the door. What am I supposed to do now? I didn't think he would kick me out this easily. Before I can form another thought my door slammed open causing me to jump.

"You need to get out of here." Kazuha started going through my drawers pulling out random pieces of clothing and throwing them on my bed.

"He gave me ten minutes, slow down Zuha." I grab her wrist trying to calm the frantic girl. She whipped her head around and I can see that her eyes have tears brimming in the corner causing my heart to break. This is real. This is happening.

"I heard him call the police as soon as you ran upstairs. You need to get some stuff and leave now. I can bring you other stuff you need later." oh my god. The cops? Is it really that serious?

"Where am I even supposed to go?" After a few seconds of silence my mind automatically went to Minji. I can't just spring this on her and her family, but I really don't have many options. I pulled out my phone and dialed Minji's number and after a few rings she answered.

"Hey, I haven't heard from you in a while." Zuha was running around me putting clothes in a duffle bag and then she walked into my bathroom presumably packing in there as well.

"Minji can I come over for a while?" I haven't talked to her since the party because I wanted to give her a couple days to catch up with her family and friends since she hasn't seen them in a year as well.

"Yeah, are you okay? Is something wrong?" There was worry laced in her voice, but I had no time to comment on it.

"I'll explain it when I get there."

"Do you want me to come get you?" Zuha motions for me to hang up the phone because I was running out of time.

"No no I'll come to you. I'll see you later." I hang up the phone feeling a little bad, but I'll inform her about the current situation when I get there. Kazuha basically threw the duffle bag at me urging me out the door. This will be the third time I have just ran to Minji's house. I need to get my license.

-

I ran the entire six miles it takes to get from my house to Minji's. Honestly I should have joined the track team in school. I know I look disgusting with the summer humidity making my hair stick to my face and sweat coming from places I didn't even know could sweat. I took a second to catch my breath then I rang the doorbell and a couple seconds later Minji opened the door with a worried expression on her face.