thirty six

Haerin's POV

I can feel my heart pumping in my chest more than ever before. I never really noticed it. I know it's there pumping helping the blood flow through my veins, but I can really feel it. I can feel Minji's presence near me, but I don't see her. I can't look at her right now or I know I'll break down so I keep my head to the front staring at the judge sitting at his giant bench. The courtroom is fairly empty, making every little noise reach my ears. Niki and Leeseo haven't arrived yet, but they will be here any second.

"This should be very quick. We have all the evidence we need and witnesses. They have no defense." I just nod as Mr. Hong was trying to reassure me. He continued to talk going over with me for the 100th time about what will be brought up in court. They will be showing the photos and videos Leeseo took of me. It will be the first time I'm ever seeing them as well, which gives me a sour taste in my mouth. Why do the jury need to see it? Can't they just take my word for it?

A slight breeze went by me causing me to break my attention from the stand and direct it to the group of people walking by which consisted of Niki, Lesseo, and their two lawyers. Niki was wearing a pressed black suit and Leeseo was wearing a black dress. It almost looked like they were in mourning. I felt a large hand being placed on my shoulder which I knew belonged to Mr. Hong.

"Don't be nervous." I just nod pulled my attention away from my two offenders as the judge announced themself making everyone stand.

"You may be seated." Everyone sat down getting ready for the case to start. The judge announced the case to everyone in the room and I was the first one to make my way to the stand. "Okay Miss. Kang you may begin." I felt my mouth go dry not being able to look up at the courtroom. I heard a cough and I looked up and Hyein was giving me a thumbs up. I let out a sigh of relief knowing that I had my friends here for support.

I went through the story from the beginning of the party to the events that led us to being here today. Niki's lawyer came up and started asking me more specific questions after that.

"You and Niki were romantically involved, correct?" Why does that even matter? If we were, does that still give him the right to do what he did to me?

"Not really." The lawyer scoffed at me, bringing up paper evidence to the judge showing photos and different writings proving otherwise.

"These photos and text tell a different story. You were together for about two years and all of a sudden cut off contact with him. You came to his party and led Mr. Nishimura to a secluded area and came on to him." huh? That didn't happen?!?

"No. I did go up to Niki, but because he said he wanted to talk to me. He's the one that took me to a secluded area." I felt my hands begin to shake. I've been taking my medication, but clearly it's not enough right now.

"You wanted to get Niki alone and things just seemed to get a little too heated didn't they? Things went a little too far, but you are the one that started it." Mr. Hong immediately got up with a frown on his face.

"Objection, your honor."

"Sustained." Niki's lawyer huffed and made his way right in front of me with a scowl on his face.

"That's all I have your honor." He made his way back to Niki, sitting next to him. Has Niki been telling him that I led him on? My eyes made their way to Niki who still had some bruising to his face even weeks later and scars from where Minji punched him to near death. Clearly he didn't mention Minji to his lawyer since she doesn't have to be brought to the stand today. Soon Leeseo's lawyer made his way up to me.

"What is your relationship with Miss. Lee?"

"We are friends...were." The lawyer nodded and began pacing in front of me making me more nervous than I already was.