nineteen

Haerin's POV

(TW: Abuse)

I lied to her. I didn't want to, but I don't want to worry her. I examined the bruise that resembles my fathers hand on my wrist rubbing it. I felt the sting spread through my arm as I pressed it. This has never happened before, he had never laid his hands on me before last night. I had never seen him that furious before.

-

"You absolute fucking idiot! How dare you run off in the middle of our dinner!?!?" My father screamed at me as I walked into the house Sunday evening. He was clearly drunk out of his mind with the way he was stumbling over towards me slurring his words.

"I'm sorry father. I was just anxious and upset and could no longer be there." I bow my head hoping that would be enough that he wouldn't keep talking to me and let me go to my room. I hear my father scoff and throw something against the wall causing me to flinch. Clearly that wasn't enough.

"Oh really you were upset? Well guess what there are more important things than you being uncomfortable at a dinner. You will apologize to both Niki and his father and tell them you were sick and needed to leave." I keep my head bowed, scared to see what my father looked like right now. He has never been this upset at me before. I felt tears start to form in the corners of my eyes and then it happened. He latched his hand firmly against my wrist pulling me towards him and used his other hand forcing me to look up at him. "Do you have anything to say for yourself?" He tightened his grip on my wrist making me wince in pain.

"I'm sorry father I'll apologize." He finally released me and shoved me away from him stumbling back to his office. I looked over and saw one of our maids giving me a pitiful look and walked over giving me a pat on the shoulder then she went and followed my father.

-

I called Minji last night, apologizing to her for being rude. I should've just told her the whole truth. I know Minji would've freaked out and done something impulsive that would end up hurting more than helping. I know she means well, but she can be a bit of a hot head.

"Haerin?" Niki raised an eyebrow as if he was surprised to see me. He's the one that told me to meet him at his locker. I gave him a small smile which he returned.

"What did you want?" Niki laughed a little before shutting his locker leaning against it smirking at me.

"You called and apologized to my father last night...so where is my apology?" It took everything in me not to roll my eyes.

"Niki, I already told you I was sorry that night. Why make me do it again?" Niki scoffs and stands to his full height. I crane my neck looking up towards the older boy. Thank god I'm with Minji because if I was with Niki I think I would have constant neck pains.

"I don't think you really understand this situation." He gets closer towards me leaning his face towards me. "You can have fun with Minji right now and do whatever you want, but we both know that this won't last. You are going to marry me, it's your only option." He whispers in my ear before pulling away. I frown and try not to show my annoyance with him.

"I don't want to marry you Niki. Don't you want to be with someone you love?" I genuinely ask the tall boy. His smirk soon faded and was replaced with a scowl.

"I do love you, Haerin. I've been trying to tell you for months and months." I sigh and close my eyes. This is too much, I wish none of this was happening to me. I sometimes miss when I used to be by myself with nothing to worry about besides my grades, but Minji wasn't in my life then and I don't want to live a life without her anymore.

"Niki, I love Minji."

"It'll pass, trust me. It's going to be us. I just need you to see that I am right here and we are meant to be together." I sigh again, becoming more annoyed as he continues talking. Why can't he just understand that I don't want to be with him?