The Malfoy Heir

Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; while others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than before. - Polybius

Draco's POV

They say light follows the dark. For there will always be a break to the dawn, the sun will rise again. Only, this is an act purely natural. Some depict it with evil and good, and say that Good will always win over evil. Others relate it with happiness and
sadness. And they believe there's always a happy ending regardless of whether someone deserves it or not. But for one Draco Malfoy, this was a struggle. It was the fight against what he expected and what was expected of him. The internal war between what he thought was the right thing and what he was taught was the right thing.

They all thought him to be the epitome of all that was evil. The son of the right-hand man of the Dark Lord. A spiteful, cold and ruthless creature sent to inflict fear, reverence and despair among those he thought were inferior to him- which meant nearly everyone apart from his family tree, The Malfoys.

Five months had passed since the fall of the Dark Lord. Things had been on a whirlwind, for the most part. The Light side had won, not an easy victory, but a much anticipated and celebrated victory all the same. The Ministry had been working feverishly, cornering the remaining minions of Voldemort and filing charges against them. Sending them to prisons and carrying out search raids and ofcourse tending to the reparations and burial of those who had not survived the war.

Both sides had been dealt by the hands of death. Many families had been ruined. The Goyles, The Carrows were all dead. Not even a single member alive to carry the name to the next generation. It wouldn't be wrong to suggest that, for the
most part, it came as a relief to the wizarding world. The Malfoys on the other hand had survived, only barely escaping from the brutal clutches of doom which entailed the other death eaters. When Harry Potter appeared infront of the Wizengamot to
provide testimony for the actions of Narcissa Malfoy, claiming her actions, despite being selfish changed the whole course of events at the last minute and helped Harry conquer the Dark Lord, gave way to a long period of wild rumors, gossips and
whispering. It also became the cause of the first exclusively public argument between the Golden Boys. Ron had made a big fuss out of the whole scenario and refused to believe in the Good of Draco's mother's actions.

It had been then, confined in the shelter of his own Manor, under house arrest for 6 months, did Draco begin the process of healing, like everyone else, but not like everyone else at the same time. Sure, he had been through his fair share of rough
moments, well scratch that, they had been the most nerve-wracking, heart-wrenching, fear-inducing and mind-numbing moments of his life. The kind of moments, when you suddenly become unsure of everything; your future, your beliefs, your concept of right and wrong, everything. And those moments had left a part of themselves, in the form of nightmares, insecurities, and depression. And boy was he depressed.

-------

I was standing there, just outside the Great Hall, the doors closed in front of me. But I could still hear the constant chatter patter of the students, the occasional shrill giggling definitely belonging to the annoying first year girls quickly being hushed by some senior. Standing there, I weighed my options, should I go inside? Should I just turn around and go back to my common room, in the dark recesses of the Hogwarts dungeons where no one will pay me any attention, negative or whatnot.

Taking in a huge breathe, I braced myself and opened the door. It felt like, a dementor had suddenly walked through the doors, as everyone turned to look at me. Even the air was chilling to the bones. For a moment, I did feel like a dementor, rotting and dying on the inside. But that was just for me to know. Ignoring the vile stares and rude comments, I slowly walked to the very end of the table, bypassing a frightened second year scurrying past me and sat down.

The irony of the current situation wasn't lost on me, from being the school bully to the one being bullied. I sure had ticked off karma the wrong way. These were the same halls, same students who used to be at the receiving end of my volatile temper, my scathing comments, my infuriating aura, and now.. it had all reversed. Now I was being subjected to those glares, contemptuous and judgmental snarks. But deep down, inside me I knew I deserved them.

Breakfast was good, in all my years at Hogwarts, I'd never admired the quality of the food. Always babbling about how good it was at the Manor, or how it was 'for the mudbloods and house elves who don't get enough at their homes'. But really, while sipping my pumpkin juice, I realized how delicious it was.

Talk had resumed, but I could still feel eyes on me. It was a moment when I was trying very hard not to relate my situation to Potter. But really, I had to give him some credit, How in the bloody hell did he survive all these years of attention, every step of the way? Maybe because it wasn't the kind he was being subjected to, but stares were stare nonetheless.

The class schedules arrived and I groaned quietly to myself, Double Advanced Potions with Gryffindors and Charms too. Great, Just great. I knew my life wasn't a big fan of my comfort, but I never knew it'd hate me so much to make me sit through three hours straight with the bloody banes of my existence. Way to start a new year! Sighing in resignation I got up as quietly as I could and walked out of the Great Hall, silence prevailing in my wake.

Time to face the Gryffies.

------ edited on 10/14/2019--------------------