Encounters

Hermione's POV

Mistakes are almost always of a sacred nature. Never try to correct them. On the contrary: rationalize them, understand them thoroughly. After that, it will be possible for you to sublimate them. - Salvador Dali

It was a beautiful day. Moderately cold but slightly rainy- for a first day of the term. The cool zephyr blew in through the large arched windows from above, as we stood huddled close to the table in the green house, listening to Professor Sprout, explaining the Advanced uses of Mandrakes in Medicine.

" Hey, Hermione." Harry whispered. I nodded, letting him know I was listening.

" Have you seen Ron?" He asked. I thought for a moment, as my eyes roamed over each face standing before me. A perfectly Ron-less place at the moment, it seemed to be.

" Nope, where did he go?" I mused, quietly.

" Dunno.." he replied, scratching his head, puzzled.

" We'll go look after him later.. Lets concentrate on the lesson right now.." I shushed him, turning my focus back to the professor. The lesson was informative, since the episode in our second year, I'd become rather fascinated with these gruesome creatures. I walked out of the greenhouse thirty minutes later pleased with what I'd managed to learn and score points for Gryffindor just the first day back.

" I'm going to head up and look for Ron, see you in Transfiguration." Harry whizzed past me, calling out to me over his shoulder. I waved in assent. Making my way towards the castle, I slowed down my pace. Which resulted in me lagging behind everyone but walking slowly, through the slightly wet grass was pleasant.

When suddenly, I heard ruffling coming from the edge of the forest. Alert, and war reflexes kicking in like it was second nature, I quickly took my wand out and silently, tip toed towards the forest. Ducking behind a sycamore, I waited for further clue, with bated breathe. There was more ruffling, and it seemed like whatever it was, was moving deeper into the forest.

Calm but alert I decided on the spot to follow. It was something that I couldn't help myself with. Living through a war had molded me into this female version of Mad-Eye. Slowly, I trekked down the dirt track, trying my best not to fall over and ended up at the edge of a clearing.

Upon further scrutiny it turned out to be the same clearing, we had once brought Umbridge to, in our fifth year. I crouched low, behind the bushes and scooted over to have a better look at the lone figure standing in the middle. It was stock-still and seemed to be in deep thought.

That's when I caught the blinding light reflecting off the top of a Blonde head- wait, Blonde? I narrowed my eyes further and it dawned on me. It was Malfoy, standing in the middle of the clearing. What in the world was he doing there? I thought to myself. Suspicion nagged me into action and with a startling jolt, I stood up and stepped into view. The crunching sound of the twigs under my feet caught his attention, and with a speed of lightning, he turned around to face me, his wand held at the ready.

There was a pregnant pause, in which we both stood still, staring each other down.

" Granger." he acknowledged after a somewhat curt nod. His steely eyes were guarded, unlike those in the Potions class.

" Malfoy." I replied, my brow raised in question.

Another five minutes passed, and I realized he wasn't going to give any kind of explanation for his purpose of taking a casual stroll into the forbidden forest instead of being in the greenhouse, or considering the given moment, in the castle somewhere.

" What are you doing here Malfoy?" I finally broke the silence. His eyes that were previously set on studying a fallen leave on the ground jerked up to lock with mine. A sneer ghosted over his lips as he stood up to his full height- a defensive posture, subtle yet very obtrusive.

" None of your business Mud-Granger." he spoke through his teeth, aggressively. He was clearly furious at my inquisition. I just stood there, watching his pale complexion turn pink with mounting irritation. Clearly someone had woken up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

It was not a big deal for me anymore- his snide remarks, I was way past the stage of actually paying any heed to them. But I was quite surprised by the revelation that even after going through so much shit during the war, his demeanor hadn't changed one bit. It made my blood boil.

" Listen here, Malfoy and this is the only time I'll be telling you this; The war is over, your mighty Lord has been reduced to nothing but a scrap of nightmare for the entire world, and it'd do you good to come off your high horse and start acting like a grown up. The ministry let your family off just because Harry testified for your Mother's actions. Doesn't mean you aren't being watched." I forced out through my teeth too. My clenched fists were turning white.

During all this ranting on my part, he stood indifferently, as if I was a mere figment of his imagination. I couldn't understand how someone could be so-so overbearingly obnoxious. Giving up, I turned around and headed back. Turning back around, just before I headed out of the clearing, I saw him bow his head down and heave a deep sigh.

********
" Have you seen Harry?" I asked Dean who was lounging in the Gryffindor common room, munching on some chocolate frogs. I was back in the castle now, I'd searched everywhere for Harry and Ron. But they seemed to have disappeared off the face of the planet.

Walking down the fifth floor corridor, I stopped to adjust my shoe-laces when Ron came out of nowhere and ran straight into my hunched figure.

" Ouch, Watch it!" I yelled, falling down on my back. Looking up, I found an out-of-breathe, red in the face Ron smiling apologetically at me.

" Sorry 'mione, didn't see you there." He extended his hand, which I gratefully accepted and got back on my feet.

" Where in the world have you been? You missed Herbology! Do you even realize how important it is for you to attend at least the first lecture of the session?" I scolded, re-adjusting my school bag.

" 'mione, 'mione-" he began patronizingly.

" Don't you "'Mione me' Ron!" I cut him, peeved as he rolled his eyes.

" Sorry! I was just..uh.." he struggled for words, I noticed his ears had turned pink.

" Out with it, Ronald!" I asked impatiently, We were getting late for Transfiguration!

" I was just-"

" Ron! Hermione!" we both turned to see Harry jogging up to us, holding a folded parchment in one hand.

" There you are! I've been looking for you both all over the place." He began.

" Whats that Harry?" Ron asked, pointing to the parchment.

" I got permission to start practices and trials from tomorrow from professor Mcgonagall" Harry grinned at Ron.

" You what?" I gaped at him.

" Yeah, I mean- look its the last year and since whatever happened during the past year, the spirits have generally been dampened around the place. It'd be nice to have something to look forward too." He clarified, enthusiastically.

" Whatever. Lets head to class, we're getting late." I shrugged. We made our way to the last class for the day, and no one noticed Ron heave a relieved sigh.