Threats

Just because you're scarred for life doesn't mean you should be scared to live. - Brian Celio

Draco's POV

'The traitors shall be punished. You will be punished too Malfoy... Soon.. and the ones closest to you will have to pay the price.. Everyone will have to pay the price.'

I paced back and forth across the carpeted floor. The room was silent except for the cold wind rattling the windows. It was dark outside and the fire was burning low in the fire place, casting long shadows on the opposite walls; yet I paid no heed to it. My mind was some place far away from the confines of the castle.

Hermione had rushed off to the hospital at once upon hearing about Weasley, along with the rest of the ginger heads and Potter. Although I couldn't have cared less, in any other situation; I still felt a strange sense of relief wash over me. I had cast that feeling aside along with everything else that was related to being in the company of Granger. Honestly, what was it about her again, that had me so spell bound?

My mind jumped from one thought to another as my eyes landed on the piece of parchment resting on the coffee table before me. The message in it was so bluntly terrifying. I couldn't help but reading it over and over again in my head.

Halting once again before the large sofa, I glared down at the disheveled piece of parchment. It wasn't signed, which left the source of the threat unknown. And that fact was much more terrifying than the actual threat. For I didn't know who it was, or just how dangerous they were.

A sudden thought of my mother popped up into my head, which had me bolting out the door in a rush. Cursing under my breathe I raced all the way to McGonagall's office, barging in unceremoniously, startling the old cat.

"Merlin, Mr. Malfoy.. you just about gave me a stroke. What happened?" She exclaimed, clutching her heart, while she stared at my disheveled form.

"I-I.. Mother.. floo.." I struggled to talk, my lungs burning from the lack of air.

"You should calm down first, here.. have a seat." She told me, in her most briskly soothing way. I sat down, breathing heavily, while shaking my head.

"There isn't much time.. Professor.. I need to floo my mother. RIGHT NOW."

"But-"

"She might be in danger. I uh.. I need to check if she's alright."

Her eyes widened a tad behind her squared spectacles. "Merlin, I'm sure Narcissa is alright, but if you insist, I can-"

"I insist. Please Professor, just- just please floo her right now." Every passing minute was pushing me towards a full-blown panic attack.

Mcgonagall nodded before getting up from her chair and walking to the floo network. Before she even reached for the floo powder though, the flames turned green and Narcissa's head came into view.

"Mother!" I exclaimed, my heart jack hammering in my chest. Her face looked drained and ghastly, as if she'd been petrified.

"Draco, my dear.." she replied. She looked at McGonagall and spoke, "Can I come through? I need to see my son."

Professor seemed to be at a loss for words, given the current situation and simply nodded. Moments later, mother stepped onto the grey rug in McGonagall's office.

"What is going on?" Professor asked.

"I'm sorry for barging in like this Minerva. But I needed to see my son. I needed to make sure he was alright. You see, I got this anonymous letter in the mail today. It- it-"

"It was an unsigned letter saying we're traitors and need to be punished." I gritted out, my blood boiling in my veins. Some useless piece of shit dared to terrorize my mother.

"When?" Professor McGonagall gasped, clutching her heart.

"Hermione found the letter in the Room of Requirement where we work together." I told her, pacing back and forth across the length of her room.

"Merlin help, this is serious. Are you sure it's not a prank?" She questioned, her face darkening considerably.

"I don't think anyone would go to such lengths, to just pull a prank on me."

"Minerva.. I'm scared for my child. What if someone tries to harm Draco?" Mother exclaimed, looking at me anxiously.

"Merlin.. first Miss Parkinson.. now these letter.. and here I thought the war had actually gotten rid of all this drama." McGonagall mumbled, searching through her table drawers. Mother and I watched as she conjured up a piece of white parchment, unlike the regular ones and began writing on it. After that, she folded the envelope and sealed it with magic.

"Here Mr. Malfoy, take this up to the owlery and get one of the school owls to deliver it."

I nodded and took the letter from her, not really understanding what she was up to. Having done that, she turned to my mother and said,

"I will have to talk to the Minister. If these letters are serious, we need to take action. For the time being, you will have to stay at the head quarters. You can discuss this further with your son and get back to me by tonight so I can take further action." She explained. Mother nodded.

"Mr. Malfoy, you are free to spend the rest of the day with your mother. But you need to be back by dinner. You're dismissed." I nodded, and walked out, mother hot on my heels.

"Draco," she sighed, taking my hand in hers. We stood like that in the corridor, each lost in our own thoughts. My stomach churned every time I thought of that damned letter. Who the fuck was behind this? And why were they involving my mother into this?

"I'm going to find out whose doing this mother. Don't worry. I think Professor is right. You can't stay at the Manor-"

"But Son, I can't just-"

"No Mother, I'm not letting you stay there all alone. We don't know what sort of sick bastard we're dealing with. I will go with you now and we'll pack. You can stay wherever McGonagall tells you to say. I need you to be safe." I stated firmly, ignoring her protests.

She heaved a resigned sigh. "Alright. Let's go."

I went back in and told the head mistress what I wanted. She told me to take my mother home & then return with her to the castle. She would take Mother to the head quarters by herself.

We walked all the way to the gates of the school, accompanied by Filch. One nodding at my mother, outside of the school entrance, I apparated to the floo room of the Manor, my wand drawn out.

Muttering a few spells to check if there was anyone around, I turned just as Mother apparated next to me with a crack.

"Everything okay dear?" She inquired anxiously. I nodded, with a sigh of relief.

"We're fine. Let's hurry up."