Caught Red Handed

Draco's POV

Crime is a fact of the human species, a fact of that species alone, but it is above all the secret aspect, impenetrable and hidden. Crime hides, and by far the most terrifying things are those which elude us. - GEORGES BATAILLE

Gryffindor beat the Beauxbaton team's ass big time, scoring Hogwarts the top position. As per the decision of the Quidditch Tournament Committee, there were to be only two rounds of the tournament. The winter break was approaching, thus excitement for the holidays grew. The Foreign teams were staying for another week before going off to their homes and would return back after the holidays. The extended time for the tournament meant Hogwarts was still under strict security.

The grounds were carpeted with layers of snow. The whomping willow swayed back and forth lazily making weird crunching noises, not even a single bird in sight except the occasional thestral taking flight, creating a disturbance among the otherwise blanketed trees. I had come back from interviewing Blaise. That guy had become one of the closest...acquaintances that I currently would admit to possess. Despite his constant snarky comments and annoying sarcasm, he had somewhat stuck by me through the hell our dear old folks had subjected us to. We were the passengers of the same doomed boat- in many ways than we would like to admit.

For one- both our parents had been absolute imbeciles, following a nut job who fed them lies. And the fact that they believed him had landed us all in this position. For all that was worth, we were the heirs of the idiots that fought to bring their own people down. Yes, we were as much a part of it as anyone but still more.

Fucking awesome, yeah? No.

As I stood leaning on the fence near the pumpkin patch next to the Half Giant's cottage, I recalled the earlier events of the day: As per the instructions, we had met Blaise at a secluded pub, a different one this time. The interrogation and memory recollection had been intense. For a person like Blaise, whose family had been responsible for the disappearances all throughout the war- it was a hell of a feat to accept the facts and lay himself bare, knowing when the truth gets out, he'd be roasted like the Christmas Turkey by the public. Still, the man had some balls- I'd have to give them that.

The back door of Hagrid's opened and I watched, as the giant oaf trudged down to the humungous pumpkin patch carrying a huge bucket and his frisky looking umbrella. A fleeting memory of all my friends joking about the many things he might have done with that toy crossed my mind. I was still watching, as he neared the paddock at the edge of the forest where the carriages of the Beauxbaton Academy stood. Bending near the horses, he began to pluck out grotesque shaped pieces of meat oozing some kind of sick looking green liquid.

What in the name of Salazar was that knucklehead feeding them?

Deciding to investigate- for I didn't want to become the sole witness of a horse herd murder, in broad daylight at that too, I started to make my way towards the paddock. Shielded by the trees, I stood still- my wand at the ready. A few minutes passed, I watched as the horses bent down and began feasting on the sick looking meat. All the while, Hagrid stood beside them and what surprised me were the shiny tears that streaked down his face. Then suddenly, out of nowhere he flung his arms around one of the white snowy horses and started bawling his eyes out.

"Sh-she musta miss ya'll so much." He spluttered,

" Me..Me Maxime is still out there- I tell ya!"

"Can ya feel it? Me 'eart says she is still alive!" he then broke down into heaving sobs and slid down onto the snow, his head in his hands. For some unknown reason, I felt bad. Well as bad as a Malfoy was allowed to feel for being such blinded gits. I'd had snippets of rumors cross me about how Maxime had been used as an experimental guinea pig to intimidate the Giant community, scaring them to perform all the dirty deeds that the Dark Lord wanted. Not being able to stand the pitiful cries of the distressed gamekeeper I made my way back to the castle.