Thoughts

Hermione's POV

Sometimes you have to confront your demons and sometimes even let them loose to genuinely find a place where you can gain some understanding. - Peter Mullan

"How are you my son?" she broke apart a moment later and held Draco at arm's length to examine him from head to toe. He rolled his eyes but replied nevertheless,

"I'm fine Mother,"

She then turned her attention to me and smiled at me. "Hello Miss Granger. I believe this is the first time we're meeting properly. Welcome to Malfoy Manor." I stared at her, slightly taken aback by her warm behavior but then nodded, giving her a small smile. It was such a contrast to how she had behaved all those times we had met before, but if she was trying to make amends, I wasn't going to make it awkward for the both of us.

"Come my dears, let's sit down," she gestured to the pristine sofas placed strategically in the middle of the room in a circle. I sat down next to Draco on one opposite a love seat which was taken by Narcissa and took the time to assess my surrounding some more. The place had been clearly renovated, for the furniture was definitely new and the carpet was a different color. The grand chandelier overhead had been replaced as well. The place was crystal clean, even the portraits placed on the mantle over the large fireplace were glistening.

"Would you like some hot chocolate? Or tea?" She asked,

"Tea please, with milk and one sugar." I replied politely.

"And you Draco? Look at you, have you not been eating properly?" Draco shook his head at his mother's observation.

"I'm fine mother, stop fussing like I'm a nine year old, I can take care of myself."

"You don't look like it, you just wait right here, I'll be right back." she retorted before getting up and walking out of the room.

"She's different." I commented once she was out of earshot.

"Mhmm?" Draco turned to look at me.

"I mean, I-I never thought she could be this polite."

"Of course Granger, you were the muggle-born remember?"

"Oh yes, how can I forget?" I replied, with a sigh. He screwed his eyes at that comment, tongue in cheek.

"I didn't mean to offend you." He said after a minute.

I snorted. "I believe you."

"Really Granger? Are you sure you want to do that, right now?"

"Do what Malfoy?" I replied, raising a brow at him. He shook his head.

"All I'm saying is, she was raised to hate you, and she passed it onto me. It wasn't like she knew any better. She didn't have a choice in how she was being raised, neither did I." He spoke softly, sitting back and looking up at the ceiling. I noticed how relaxed he was. I, on the other hand could feel my legs still shaking slightly. But it wasn't so noticeable, thank Merlin.

Narcissa returned then, with an elf carrying a tray with cups and a large teapot. He was a little thing, but what really caught my attention was the brand new mini azure suit he had on with a matching hat on top of his head.

"Good afternoon to Mr. Malfoy, Weezy hopes Master had a good term at Hogwarts," the little elf greeted, bowing before Draco. Draco surprisingly, reached into his pocket and pulled out a galleon and handed it to Weezy, who began jumping up and down in excitement. I couldn't help smiling, looking at the happy elf.

"Merry Christmas Weezy, and yes, I had an alright term." Draco replied, grinning at the elf. To say I was stunned would be an understatement. Draco glanced at me, and caught me staring. I kept smiling and after a moment, he frowned.