Normalcy

Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress. - Bruce Barton

Hermione's POV

"Hurry up, both of you, we'll be late if you keep up at this pace." I called over my shoulder, hastily making my way through the corridor towards the dungeons. It still gave me chills, even after all these years. Nothing could beat them. Not even Voldemort at his worst. Well alright, that was a bit too much exaggeration.

"Trust Hermione to worry about Potions, of all subjects on the first day back." Ron said, rolling his eyes. Harry shook his head in amusement and started walking faster.

We arrived just in time as Professor Slugghorn opened the classroom door and ushered everyone inside, smiling pleasantly. I always respected him, despite his display of cowardice at some points in time. But he had been a great help during the Battle.

"Settle down, Settle down my dear students." He chimed, as everyone shuffled to get to their seats. As always, the Slytherins took the front. I sat down between the boys and took out my Textbook and a fresh piece of parchment. After unbottling my ink-pot, I dipped my phoenix feather quill ( A late birthday present from Harry) into it and turned my gaze towards the front, watching as Professor slowly made his way to the center and faced the students.

A fleeting gaze around was enough assurance to know that nearly everyone was going through the same mix of emotions as I was. All those years of sitting in this same classroom, brewing disasters at times, hating, loving, sneaking around and solving mysteries.. It all was a bitter reminder of the normal days, well nothing was normal in case of the Golden Trio, but nevertheless, everyone craved the simplicity of the younger years. Voldemort or Not.

Thinking about that suddenly reminded me of Harry. I turned my head slightly to find his head bent slightly, letting his fringe fall into his eyes to shield the pain, the strong emotions that were coursing through his very soul. I grabbed his shaking hands under the table, which made him jump slightly. He turned to look at me, and I knew at that moment what was bothering him so much. Snape.

No psychology book or studies could ever explain the complicated puzzle that Snape had been. On one hand, he'd constantly proved to be a thorn in Harry's side, always looking down on him and making his life miserable as much as he could. While he also went so far as to save Harry's life in the first year, and risked his life for Dumbledore and the Light side time and again. Although it all was kept from Harry until the very end. In the beginning, Harry had hated Dumbledore for keeping so many secrets from him, at one point, he even lost all hope. But then, I always knew that Old Man was a genius. It all worked out, but at a terrible price.

" Are you alright Harry?" I whispered through my teeth, while keeping a steady gaze on the Professor as he kept rambling about one thing or another.

" Would it make a difference if I say no?" he replied in a monotone. I didn't know what to say to him, so I just stayed quiet. I held his hand tightly, that being the only way to soothe him without attracting any kind of unwanted attention.

" We will start off with the simple potions, just to make sure everyone is on the same page. So for today, I want you all to make the Draught Of Peace. Easy I know. Make sure its done within time. Pour me dollop in a vial and bring the sample to my desk. I'll be around to guide you if you need any help. You may begin your work now." Professor Slugghorn ended his little speech, with a wave, which made him appear like he was flailing in air, if nothing else.

" Thats supposed to be easy? If thats easy, I can only imagine what the difficult would be like. We'll probably blow up the whole castle." Ron whisper yelled, horror struck.