Christmas Ball : Part 1

Hermione's POV

"Well, it seems to me that the best relationships - the ones that last - are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is... suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with."
― Gillian Anderson

I closed my eyes and let the cold wind press against my face, I had always loved sitting here and spending time with my two best friends. The memories made me smile. I could picture the reactions of the two most important men in my life if they were to see me sitting here all by myself in the cold right now, and at this time of the night at that. Chuckling to myself, it was sometime later that I noticed the company I had around me. Startled, I almost screamed.

"Oh my God, you almost scared me to death!" I exclaimed, smiling nonetheless.

"Sorry, deedn't mean to." Krum smiled settling next to me. I watched with a small smile as Rarity and Fluttershy emerged from behind a nearby tree and galloped towards Krum. He extended his hand, just as they bowed next to him so he could pet their heads.

"They're beautiful." I said. Fluttershy looked up at me from under Krum's arm and shyly backed away a bit. I reached out, truly curious to touch their beautiful fur. Each one of them had a magnificent glow to them. They almost resembled patronuses, only more solid and very much alive.

"'ey fellow, meet her. She eez 'mione Granger. " Krum spoke to them. I could tell by their relaxed stances that they trusted Krum. I made a summoning motion with my hands and slowly, hesitantly at first- Rarity began walking towards me. Up close, I could detect faint bluish- gold glitter in its fur.

"That's fairy dust right?" I asked amazed. Krum nodded, watching me admire the little ponies with amusement.

"Something's wrong 'mione." He spoke after a while. I sat up straighter, turning my upper body towards him. He sighed, glancing at me before resuming his petting. Rarity purred appreciatively crouching down beside him.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my stomach clenching. As it was, my mind had instantly jumped into overdrive thinking about all the things that could possibly go wrong.

"I am not sure az of yet, eet iz just an assumption.." he clarified, having guessed my facial expressions. I knew I had paled just at the mention of trouble. To think after everything that had happened during the year, I'd be more prepared to take situations head on. But if anything, I'd become more paranoid- sort of. Well, I knew for a fact I'd had enough of shit to last me a life time.

"Krum, please tell me?" I pleaded, my heart thudding in my chest. He stared at me thoughtfully for a moment. I couldn't exactly decipher the look on his face, but I had a feeling he was thinking of what he was about to say. I had a feeling it had something to do with me.

"Your friend Ron, he iz a bit weird." He shrugged. I couldn't help but laugh as the tension subsided and I relaxed in my seat. He stared at me with a frown, clearly not expecting that sort of response. He probably thought I'm a nutcase.

"I know right? I always tell him to behave but alas! Nothing gets through his head except for food," I shook my head, smiling fondly at the mention of my best friend. He looked like he wanted to say something more on the subject, but then he shrugged and smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry, deedn't mean it in a bad way." I shook my head smiling.

"I know, it's quite alright," A gust of cold wind blew, ruffling my wild curls and I shivered.

"Let's get back eenside before you catch a cold" Krum stood up, brushing the back of his pants. I extended my hand for him to pull me up and together, we made our way back to the castle before saying our goodbyes to the little ponies.