Christmas Ball : Part 2

Hermione's POV

"For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable - what then?"
― George Orwell

Christmas was, one of the very few holidays I remember not having the heart to touch anything remotely academic- which was saying a lot. In the Granger household, it had always been a day of great importance. The one day when everyone sat down together, putting real life on temporary hiatus to be with family, friends and loved ones.

Growing up, I'd loved waking up to a myriad of presents waiting for me at the foot of the bed or under the festive Christmas tree found in the spacious lounge, back at home. I'd skip breakfast and won't stop buzzing till I'd gone through each and every present and then spend a day contentedly writing letters of 'Thank Yous' and sending them off to everyone.

Now that I think of it, I mostly looked forward to spending time with Grandma Granger, my absolute favorite person in the whole wide world.

Right now, as I was sat cross-legged, in the middle of the common room, wearing my new woolen socks- courtesy of Molly Weasley, I couldn't help the thoughts of last year bombard my head.

It was Christmas morning and the whole castle was decorated in festive reds and greens, the house elves had taken it upon themselves to charm the various baubles and streamers to produce cheerful music every time someone passed by.

"Happy Christmas 'mione." I looked up to see a disheveled Harry still in his pajamas, rubbing his eyes and grinning at me.

"Happy Christmas Harry," I smiled back at him, getting up from between the massive pile of gifts and hugging my best friend. We stayed in an embrace, both of us recalling the previous year: the trip to Godric's Hollow, fake Bathilda and Nagini's attack. My grip tightened on his back, as the image of Nagini emerging out of Bathilda's head, It all came to mind and I shivered. It had been a close call.

"Hey, now.. 'Mione.." Harry spoke softly into my ear, realizing where my chain of thoughts had led me to.

"I'm alright, it's over yeah? Everything's fine now." I broke apart from him, and offered a small smile.

"True that, I'm glad it's over." He squeezed my shoulder once more.

"Harry, Happy Christm-" Ginny came running down the stairs in a pretty green sweater and jeans, but then halted midway as her gaze landed on us. I could almost see her whipping out her wand to hex me.

It was starting to get disconcerting how obvious she was slowly becoming with her attitude. Harry had also noticed, I could tell by the way he quickly dropped his hands from around my arms and stepped back a little.

"Happy Christmas Ginny" I greeted her. She rolled her eyes and replied off-handedly. I went back to my presents, as she made her way to Harry and engulfed him in a tight embrace. Ignoring the lovebirds, I began sifting through my presents. Under a box of Chocolate Frogs (A treat from Neville) I spied a small rectangular box, wrapped in shiny green paper with a red bow on top. Smiling, I held it out in front of me. He couldn't get any more obvious. I thought, shaking my head.

Smiling as a wave of excitement passed through me, I opened it. The first thing that entered my mind was the sheer beauty of the object, nestled precariously between silky velvet cushions. It was a beautiful necklace. The pendant was a replica of the Hogwarts Crest, carved in pure gold and decorated with expensive diamonds. 'Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus' was also carved in shiny red paint. I brought the delicate chain up in front of my face to admire the way the light caught the edges, dispersing into rainbows every time I spun the pendant.