Friends or Foes?

Disclaimer: Its funny how people think the need of these are even necessary. I mean, really if I were JKR, I'd still be driving my dad's car!? Think again fellas! In other words, No. I am Not JKR and these Characters are just my fantasy lovers. lol jk.

Hermione's POV

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

" Hermione? What do you mean she's not so innocent?" I had been walking down to the Great Hall, when on the first floor corridor, while turning around the corner, I heard Helen, a sixth year whisper to her friend. I ducked behind the suits of armor quickly, hiding from view and trying to catch their words. The sensible part of my brain scoffed at my childish behavior but I ignored it. Squinting past the armor, I tried to recognize the other girl, who stood in front of Helen, but due to Helen's tall frame, I couldn't see who it was.

But really, it'd have had been better to have walked away when I had the chance, for the voice which spoke next gave me the biggest shock of my life.

" Yeah, she ruined my life." the words hung in the air for Hermione to ponder over, as Ginny Weasley swiftly walked away; A flabbergasted and totally stunned Helen following in her wake.

********

The day passed by. All I could think of was the words Ginny had spoken. At first, I was too stunned to even process her words. My heart kept nagging me; presenting excuses on Ginny's behalf. At one point, I even wanted to believe it wasn't Ginny I'd heard. But if the Fire-red mane was not enough confirmation that I'd watched make its way down the Great Hall, rooted behind the armor as I stood- then I didn't for the life of me know what was.

Through the years, I thought I had developed a cordial relationship with the girl. I even remember giving her love advice and helping her with her infatuation of Harry back in fourth year. What had gone wrong? Now that I think of it, I can not help but laugh, for who would believe when they'd hear that I- The Prude Extraordinaire dished away relationship advice and practically played the Love Guru for my friends.

At any rate, I tried my level best to analyze every possible aspect of the situation, the cause of her hateful feelings, the reason for her apparent resentment and loathing but I could come up with nothing that I might have done to elicit such provocative thoughts.

" Earth to 'mione.." I was pulled out of my thoughts as Ron waved his huge hands in front of my face. It was currently lunch time and we sat in our usual seats.

" Whats up?" Harry asked with a smile.

" Nothing, sorry.. zoned out for a minute there, what were you saying?" I asked with a smile in turn.

" Nothing really, just discussing about the new additions to the team this year. And Ginny here has agreed to play Chaser." He smiled, kissing Ginny's hand. I glanced at the girl sitting next to him and saw her fake a smile. It was not the Ginny Weasley I knew and I wanted to know what was going on that head. I didn't realize I'd been staring unseeingly past Ginny's head at the boys sitting on the other end of the table until Malfoy's gaze caught mine.

The events of the day prior came back to me, frowning as his defeated and resigned posture flooded my mind, I turned my gaze away. He looked sleep deprived. Deciding I couldn't eat anymore, I stood up.

" Where are you going?" Harry asked.

" I'll head back to the common room. I think I'm stuffed." I declared.

" Pish posh! you haven't even touched anything on your plate. You have to eat, if you want to stay alive. How can you go without eating 'mione?" The prospect of not eating sure presented a huge shock to one Ronald Weasley. Rolling my eyes at his hyperbolical display I turned around.