Task

It is not work that kills men, it is worry. Work is healthy; you can hardly put more on a man than he can bear. But worry is rust upon the blade. It is not movement that destroys the machinery, but friction. - Henry Ward Beecher

Draco's POV

'Dear Mr. Malfoy and Ms. Granger,

I am writing to you, on behalf of all the highly regarded officials of the Ministry of Magic. It has recently been brought to our attention that since after the war, the only people who know the proper sequence of events is only You, (Miss Granger), Mister Potter of course and Mister Ronald Weasley. And from the Dark side, since the Malfoy family played a vital role with-holding high ranks in Voldemort's inner circle, thus Mister Malfoy is as aware of the details, I'm sure.

We all know how very painful this task will be for you, but in the face of the coming years and keeping in mind the rights of the future generation for the authentic knowledge of our history, we have by a unanimous consensus agreed that a full detailed account of the war should be recorded. And we all agree that no one but Miss Granger is capable of such task.

We also know that, right now everyone and specially you people would like nothing more than to bury the gruesome thoughts of the war deep somewhere, but in order to achieve full peace of mind, I'm afraid you all will have to face this last demon. And I assure you, this will actually help.

So, I would request you both to start working on this project as soon as you can. I will further notify you both about the time limit and such details later in this week. You will both have to sign the contract attached to your respective letters and I will be hoping to receive them first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Regards,

Kingsley Shacklebolt

Minister of Magic'

The ticking of the Grandfather clock standing in the corner of the room was the only sound that could be heard in the otherwise silent room. Granger and I sat facing Mcgonagall who looked almost sheepishly down her nose at us. With a subtle turn of my head, I could see Granger sitting stock-still, her mouth slightly open like a gaping fish, and her knuckles which clutched the armchair- as if it might swallow her up any moment to give her a way out of this predicament, were pale white.

To think being locked up in one's own house was the worst punishment seemed laughable right now. Nothing was more painful than having to relive the horrors of the war. Even Saint Potter was known to wake up screaming from nightmares at night often. I could almost see Kingsley, looking down at me from his high Minister chair, holding his wand in a condescending manner. Hell, Avada was nothing compared to this deliberate torture. Even Granger wasn't this much of a sadist to agree to this.

" I-.." It was the nth time Granger had started speaking and then trailed off right in the middle of speaking her damn thoughts. It was starting to get annoying.

"I see you both need some time to come to terms with this. Although, personally I do not know why you guys have to go through this, you are only children for heaven's sake! But since the Minister has been insisting we allocate this task to you and only you two. I find my hands tied. But I will give you both till before curfew to buck yourself up. And you might now have realized, this sugar-coated request is anything but. You have to do it, by hook or crook." She concluded, arching her brow at me, as if I would leash out any second.

How badly I wanted to do just that!

Nodding curtly, I got up as Granger did too and still clutching the damned letters, we silently made our way out of the office. I turned away from her the moment I was outside and made my way to the only place I could think of which may appease my churning conscience.