Snow fights

"I think if I've learned anything about friendship, it's to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don't walk away, don't be distracted, don't be too busy or tired, don't take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff."
― Jon Katz   

The corridors were silent as I walked to the Room of Requirements. I had spent the whole day catching up on my school work and going over the drafts of the book Hermione had compiled so far. At first, I had been extremely wary of the way she would deal with such a task, but in all honesty; so far she had done most of the work by herself. I never thought I'd live to see this day but I was feeling slightly guilty for not helping her actively whatsoever, but truth be told, she was more than capable of doing it on her own.

After she had returned, I'd watched her in the library for some time, as she immersed herself in her research yet again. It was amusing to watch her get so involved within the words of the books she held and devote her undivided attention to the tasks assigned to her. I had witnessed her breakdown last night, and it was a wonder to see her so collected and calm in contrast to the blubbering, crying mess she was last night. Entering the Room of Requirements, I deposited the stack of fresh notes Granger had handed me before going off to visit McGonagall. Plopping down in an armchair before the crackling fire, I heaved a tired sigh, closing my eyes and slowly exhaling.

Thoughts of what I had told Hermione just a few moments ago crossed my mind. I had been dreading this topic for a while now. The involvement of my family in the war wasn't exactly a secret. I knew it was only a matter of time before me and my mother were subjected to these tedious and humiliating interrogations. But somehow, I didn't feel as threatened and anxious over Granger leading the meeting as I would have been otherwise. But there was a more pressing matter just lurking in the back of my mind now. I was supposed to take Granger to the Manor. The Malfoy Manor.

"What the fuck was I thinking?" I cursed out loud; as my mind began to play the events of the night Granger had been in that manor the last time. Flashes of her writhing on the ground as my lunatic aunt tortured her, right in the middle of our living room floor, churned through my mind making me wince as her agonized cries echoed in my head.

Feeling myself near a full blown panic attack, I quickly got up from my place and produced a little box filled with floo powder from my robe. I had intended to floo mother anyways and now seemed the right time to do it. Crouching before the fire, I palm a handful of the powder and clearly say 'Malfoy Manor' before throwing it into the fire. I watch patiently as the flames turn green and after a moment, my mother's suite comes into view.

"Mother?" I called out to her. There was a moment of shuffling before Narcissa Malfoy's face appeared before me.

"Draco? Merlin! I wasn't expecting a call." she exclaimed, her surprise morphing into a pleasant smile quickly. I returned her a small smile of my own before carefully studying her face.

"It's alright, How are you?" I asked, looking into her wrinkling bright grey eyes. She stared back firmly, her face set into a sad smile.

"I'm fine son, how about you?"

"I'm good Mother. Did you have dinner?"

She nodded, "Yes Draco, I was just about to go to bed. Are you alright? You gave me quite a fright there, it's almost midnight, why are you not asleep yet?"

I paused. What was I supposed to tell her? 'Hey Mother, remember that 'mudblood bitch' your dear old sister tortured in our living room? Yeah that one. I'll be bringing her over tomorrow. You ladies can have a nice chat over some tea and scones about how a lunatic old fool made our entire family hate the guts of people like her, capture her and her bestfriends and then almost kill them. Cool eh?'