Not The Bonsai!

Ship: Shin Sokoku

Au: Aku and Atsu live together- also they're more lovey dovey then they would be realistically.

It has come to my attention that Akutagawa dislikes bonsai trees...so I bring you this.

-

The bonsai tree. Ominous right?

Atsushi usually wasn't one to buy things on a whim, unless they something was Chazuke. However, when he came across the line bonsai in the market, he recalled Kunikida telling him that bonsai trees were a good way to relieve stress.

For some reason, Atsushi's couldn't help but feel that this information may have been another lie fed to the idealist by Dazai. But, regardless, he thought he'd give it a try.

The problem was this: he lived with Ryuunosuke Akutagawa.

Akutagawa hated bonsai trees.

Why?

I have no idea.

Perhaps he just hates the idea of a nice, tranquil activity.

Though Atsushi had moved in with his lover several months ago(after Akutagawa insisted that he shouldn't sleep in a closet), Atsushi didn't know this fact.

It wasn't that they didn't know much about each other. Atsushi knew Akutagawa liked figs, antiques and such. He also knew a few of the man's dislikes. Same goes for Akutagawa towards Atsushi.

I suppose the cause of this incident could be chalked up to the fact that this disliking of Bonsai trees had never come up in conversation.

Well- it wasn't much of an incident but I enjoy being dramatic.

When Atsushi has arrived home with the groceries and the addition of a bonsai tree, Akutagawa had been working late. This postponed the inevitable incident. After putting away the groceries, Atsushi got to work on his bonsai.

He had no experience in this so he looked up some tutorial videos. In the end, he ended up with a wonky tiger. He promised himself that he'd try again after the tree grew out.

Did he feel relaxed?

Not at all.

Just as he suspected, this was probably a Dazai shenanigan that made its way to him. If anything, he was more stressed. He was stressing over getting it right the whole time, and he couldn't find any tutorials or even photos of tiger-shapes bonsai's. So he could only work with pictures of real tigers.

This was far from relaxing.

Nevertheless, he kept the tree. He thought maybe Akutagawa would like it. It's basically just something he can cut up.

He was very wrong.

When Akutagawa walked through the door, he was nothing less of appalled by the sight. A poorly trimmed bonsai tree was set on the coffee table. His eyes narrowed, as if he was a wild beast stalking its prey. Rashomon was summoned, poised to strike.

"Welcome home Ryuu!" A voice chimed, pulling Akutagawa from his little moment. The hellhound withdrew his ability, as not to give the impression of anger to his beloved weretiger.

"Hello Atsushi. May I ask why this tree is sitting in the living room?" He asked in the most polite tone he could muster. Atsushi eyed the bonsai, a nervous laugh escaping his soft and totally kissable lips. "Well, Kunikida has suggested it for stress relief, I figured it was probably something Dazai told him(meaning it probably wasn't true)...but I decided to try it anyways. Turns out I was right, this was anything but a relaxing experience." He explained fully.

Akutagawa scowled. Damn agency, causing his beloved to bring something so horrid into his household. "Well, get rid of it." He demanded without explanation or intent for one.

Atsushi stared at Akutagawa for a moment, confused by how...mad...he sounded. Maybe mad wasn't entirely accurate, but it wasn't completely wrong. "Why? Is it because of how bad I cut it?" He questioned, not willing to let this unusual behavior slide.

Of course, Akutagawa was often mad about something, but Atsushi couldn't put his finger on why exactly this particular anger was so odd.

Akutagawa perked up at the implications that he was offending his love. "What, no! It's just..." He trailed off, mumbling the rest to where Atsushi couldn't hear.

The weretiger's brows furrowed. "What was that?" He questioned in an almost scolding tone. Akutagawa huffed, crossing his arms and turning his back on his love. "I don't like Bonsai trees!" He blurted out quickly, getting it over with.

Atsushi nearly burst out into laughter. "A-Akutagawa! Please tell me you realize how ridiculous that sounds...t-though there's nothing to be ashamed of!" He exclaimed, trying to talk while withholding the laughter.

"Also...I'm not throwing it out just because of that. You can suck-" He ended his sentence on a word that had potential to send some dirty minded readers into a tizzy. This was due to the fact that Akutagawa had just used Rashomon to toss the tree out the closed window with a crash.

Atsushi heard the pot breaking when it hit the ground below. Now he had no bonsai, and a hole in the window. His mouth hung open, slack with shock.

Akutagawa turned back to his lover. "There, now that that's delt with...let's make dinner. I was thinking of having steak tonight." He said so casually as if he didn't just waste Atsushi's money.

Atsushi shot a glare at him before turning to the refrigerator. He was going to make the steak...however he would make sure to add extra salt to his darling Ryunnosuke's dish. He wasn't letting him off the hook for the sin of wasting his hard-earned money.

"Alright then!"

-The End-

What? A story that's less then 1000 words? I was starting to think I would never.