23. Wedlock Shenanigans

Tose Naina

~ pairs are created in heaven

Karan •

I glance at my watch reading the time, two forty five. Fifteen more minutes, as per the auspicious time given by pandit for our wedding ritual to start. Turning my face to the right, I look at the elderly man setting the needed things for ritual near the hawan where the mandap is already set. And then turn my gaze back to the place where our guests are sitting.

And lord ! I have never seen these cute guests ever in anyone's wedding, I'm pretty sure no one will ever get to have them too. All of them are smiling, laughing, pulling on eachother and grumbling around all the time, not caring about anything around. Well, what can we expect from a bunch of kids other than being happy and carefree where they are.

Yeah, we were having kids as our guest for the wedding, from the age of two to teen every kid the orphanage took care of. On the day my to be wife proposed me, I asked her who'll were going to attend our wedding. The first thing she put up was them. The kids, and I had no issue with it moreover I feel overwhelmed seeing these little people over here. So carefree and happy.

Other than them, Reema was here along with Stuti one of the members from the welfare of orphanage. They have been here since morning. Reema is one a few friends Preeta had managed to make other than three of her colleagues. Well, knowing her throughly and just having almost the same character as her I knew how hard it was for her to make friends. Introvert things to say actually. And after what I did, I'm pretty sure she finds it even harder now.

I feel guilty for it even now. Even when she says it's done and she's over it and says I should also leave it behind, somewhere, seeing her hurt that day hurt me more than I ever thought anything would. Whatever she says it was my mistake and I take responsibility and along with it came regret and guilt.

I sigh and looks at the people walking out of our house to the backyard. Aravind sir, my senior officer and his wife. I have invited just a couple of my colleagues. Aravind sir was not one of them if you ask. He has known me for long just like Vikram sir. They were my father's colleague and batch mates before being my senior officers.

I walk to them with a smile and shakes his hands. He pulls me into a hug and pats my back.

Aravind: Kaise ho,Karan ?

He questions in his high pitched voice. I smiles at him nodding my head. I smile at his wife, Devi aunty, kneeling to touch her feet, she touches my crown with a ligh chuckle.

Devi: areey, cheeku ! Kush raho.

A little embarrassed smile creeps my lips and my cheeks burn hearing her call me 'cheeku'. She's the only one who still calls me cheeku. That was my nick name, my ma, pappa and everyone who were related to us called me that. Even Vikram sir, and Ravi too did, until a certain point of time.