29. He's Here

Karan drove the car through the way to their house. There was no use in staying there at the hospital. His wife had made clear she'd only come after her working hours no matter what and he, couldn't do anything but agree to her decision. So going home and helping his father-in-law settle there was what he thought of doing now.

And by evening, he'd be back at hospital to apologize to her and talk this out and then show her what she'd love to witness.

Her outburst had been like stab to his chest. He didn't want this to happen but yet he didn't prevent this from happening. He was helpless but mostly he was careless. He should have informed her even if it gave her false hope, because in that way it wouldn't have ruined the hope she lived on. The hope of them, him, their future.

In a way to not give her fasle hope, he'd somewhere hurt her hope of being his priority. And that was so wrong in all levels, because she was not just his priority she was his whole world.

Leaving a sigh, parking the car in the shed he got out of the car locking it and climbing the stairs to the main door of their house. As he opened it and shut behind he could see the man sitting on couch of their leaving room, resting his head back against the headrest with his eyes shut.

Karan walked up towards the couch, taking a seat on the other sofa after keeping his car key and wallet there.

"Preeta?" Surprising him, the man beside him asked. Now sitting straight with eyes looking at him.

Shaking his head softly he sighed. "She didn't come, she'll be here by evening."

Vikram nodded, understanding there is more to this. He didn't want to interfere in their matter but not knowing what was keeping his daughter from coming and visiting him seemed concerning.

"Kya hua?" He pondered softly as his son-in-law who looked who's face was drained of the usual mood now drowned with misery and distress.

The man has seen him grow up. He might not be his biological son, but he knew and understood Karan better than most of the biological fathers could about their kid.

Looking at Vikram, Karan left a shuddering breath. Not knowing if he should tell him or not. It was confusing for himself, what happened how to treat it, everything was painful.

"Preeta. She- uh, she's hurt." He said running a hand through his hair. Deciding to anyways confined to Vikram. He needed help with this, atleast some advice.

"Kyu?" Vikram questioned in worry.

"I didn't tell her where I was going, I never told her about you. I didn't want to give her false hope. But when I reached Italy the scene there was horrific contacting her was riskier than anything. So, I had to give in to the mission." He explained sounding pained and regretful.

For a good five minutes there was silence. Pin-drop silence, both of them didn't talk, they didn't even look at each other. They sat still, looking at the tailed floor. Rethinking each decisions they made. Regretting them yet not doing it and then finally the elder man talked.

"She's been neglected, not just now but from a long time. Even though she's my only daughter, she's the world to me, I neglected her. From a very young age, she's been on her own. Too young to take care of her yet she did it like a matured girl. She was a sweet kid. Loved talking a lot, telling stories about her day, friends and all." He chuckled, sounding throaty. "When Sarla was there, she used to listen to all of them, I too did. But when she left, I was heartbroken, scared and in the fear of losing my daughter too like her mother I had to send her away, even when I didn't want to." He sighed, the corners of his eyes filling with tears.