Chapter Forty

Neil

"Trevor, you're gonna go with Kat to pick the kid up. Jesse is gonna take Josh back to the B&B. I'm gonna stay here and figure out how all this is gonna work." Trevor nods and yanks Josh to the living room. I sigh at the stress of all this.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and pull out to see a bunch of messages from the boys back at the club house and then a more recent message from Rose.

Rose- you still owe me that drink baby

I smile and think of how to respond. I knew I should've dropped her after that first night but my body wouldn't let me.

'I got you babe'

I didn't know what else to say. I put my phone back into my pocket and head back to the living room. Jesse was already gone with Josh. Trevor was sitting silently on the couch.

"Where is the boy?" I softly say to Kat.

"He's in school," she bit her lip and sat up straight on the couch.

"If you're lying to me-"

"Why the hell would I lie to you?" Damn, she's got more attitude than I remember. "He's about to be six." My heart sank just realizing how much of his life I missed.

"Go get him." I growled. She rolled her eyes and stood up. As she's grabbing her keys, I snapped at Trevor for his attention. I point to Kat as she's opening the front door. He jumped up from his chair and ran after her. God, he's gonna be the death of me.

Trevor
I ran out the door after Kat. She jumps in her car as I follow and sit in the passengers chair. I could feel the anger and fear radiating off her. Minutes go by in silence.

I tried to break the silence, "Kat-"

"Why? Why are you doing this?" Her voice was stern. As if I was one of her kids who go in trouble.

"I don't have a choice," I threw my head back on the head rest.

"Bullshit. There is always another way. You have no balls and I would be ashamed to be you-"

"Pull over!" I yell as she jumps from shock. Josh must not have yelled at her. If she was Neil's old lady, she would never talk to him or anyone else like that. But she immediately pulled over.

"You act like I gave you up! If you don't remember, you ran from me! I was there to protect you and I failed!"

"Clearly, if he found you then I wouldn't have been safe there either." I chuckle and shake my head at her comment. "What is so funny about any of this?"

"Do you know what he would've done to me if I didn't come?" I raise an eyebrow. She nodded. "You don't know how much I hate this. You think I wanted to come and put you and your son in danger? All I've ever wanted to do is protect you, Kat." I could see her eyes tear up.

"I know, I'm sorry." She whispered as she looked down at her legs.

"Why did you leave, Kat?" My voice broken in pain. I love her like my little sister. I just wanted to take care of her.

"I'm not ready to talk about it."

"How did you find Josh? Did you guys plan this?"

"No! It just happened, we bumped into each other. That's all." I nod. "How did he find my family, Trevor?" She pulled her hands to her face and cried. I felt her sorrow. I leaned over and hugged her tight.

"I'm not gonna let him hurt you. I promise." She cried harder.

"And Josh?" She looked up at me. I brushed a tear from her cheek.

"I can't make any promises on that but I'm gonna try my hardest. You know, I would do everything in my power." I gave her a kiss on the cheek and hug her one more time.

Once our pity party was over, we park in front of the school her son attended. I stayed in the car as she signed him out. I knew Kat wouldn't say anything to put her family in danger. The second I saw Kat walk out the building with a blonde haired little boy, my mouth dropped. There was no denying that Neil wasn't his dad.

"Hey buddy, I have a friend with me and another at the house. They are gonna join us for dinner, okay?" Kat said as she opened the door for him. I turn around in my seat as the boy just glared at me. I smile softly.

Kat jumped in the drivers seat and made eye contact to me. "What's his name?" I asked.

"Jackson." My heart sank. She named him after Neil's little brother? Shit.

I turn back around and smile again, "hey Jackson. I'm Trevor. I came to visit your mama. We've been friends for a long time. I got a boy a little older than you." He smiled softly. He didn't say anything back.

"He's very shy." She whispered at me before the whole car ride was silent. 

We pull up to her house once again and unload everyone from the car. I felt the ache in my heart as I watched Jackson head to the front door. I was so nervous for what was to come.

"Kat," I yank her arm before we get to the porch. "Why did you name him Jackson?" She smiled and rubbed my arm.

"I loved him too."

~~~

Such a short chapter but the last chapter was so long! I guess it's about to go down!
What does everything think? How do you think Neil is gonna take meeting his son for the first time!?