Chapter Fifty-Four

Friday

I couldn't get the last conversation out of my head. Rose said Jackson is my legacy. She was completely right and I knew if I dragged him into this life, he would never get out. Not in the way I would want him to at least. My gut was still telling me not to go through with this mission but we all needed the money. I couldn't let down Jesse and Trevor. They were holding up their end of the deal therefore I should hold up mine.

This was the first day I would be seeing Jackson and Kat after a long week. I have texted back and forth with Kat on how Jackson was and how his school days are. I've asked how she is feeling while being more than a couple months pregnant, she was be short with me when it came to how she was doing.

"Anyone home?" I walk through the front door of Kat's house. I heard running down the hall and shut the door.

"Dad!" Jackson's face lit up as he ran over to me. I knew everyone just needed some space from each other. Everything was so tense even after that stunt Austin pulled over a month back.

"Hey! How was school?" He frowned immediately. "What happened?" I kneel in front of him as he pouts.

"There is a new boy at my school and he's been picking on me. I don't like it." He crossed his arms and stomped his little foot.

"Well, have you done anything about it?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Like what?" He tilted his head as if he was a dog who heard a whistle.

"You don't know how to throw a punch?" I asked while acting like I was punching his stomach. He giggled and shook his head. "Well then, maybe I'll get you in some boxing lessons so you can learn to protect yourself."

"Neil.. Really? Is throwing a punch really your answer?" Kat spoke up as she came around the corner. I stood and had a cocky smile on my face.

"Well, you know my answer to disrespect." I covered Jackson's eyes with one hand and pulled my shirt up to show my hand piece. She rolled her eyes.

"Where's Josh?" I look around to see if he was hanging out somewhere.

"He had a business trip out of town this weekend." She half smiled and crossed her arms.

"I just wanted to swing by, I got a job tonight and I thought I could see you two before hand." I ran my hand through my hair and rested it on the back of my neck. Kat's blank expression told me, she already knew what I meant.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" She said so calmly. I nod and gently push Jackson towards the hallway.

"Head to your room and I'll come to play with you once I'm done talking to your mom." He didn't say anything, he ran along to his room and Kat turned at the heel to head into the kitchen. I let out a long sigh before following her.

She placed both hands on the counter, "Are you out of your mind?" She growled. She was more aggressive ever since she got pregnant. I wonder if this was how she was like the first time around? "I don't know why you insist on bringing this around us. We want nothing to do with this."

"And you have nothing to do with this. I'm not involving you guys!" I shrug and cross my arms around my body.

"I don't want Jackson to go down this road, Neil. Do you want that for your son? He deserves better than running around in a gang and dodging prison!" She slammed her hand down on the counter in anger.

"It's not a gang, it's a motorcycle club."

"Where's your bike? When was the last time you even rode on it? Huh?!" I shook my head and looked down at my feet. "When was the last time, Neil?"

"I-.."

"When?!"

"I don't know! I haven't..." I bit my bottom lip before continuing. "I have't rode it since I was with you last," She grew silent. She placed her hand on her stomach to rub it. "I'm not trying to stress you out, babe. I just need the money, okay?" I finally spoke to the complete truth which seemed to shock her. I was always short when it came to Kat. Even when we were together, I never told her the honest truth.

"If you needed money, you should've just asked." I roll my eyes before turning away from her.

"I don't need Josh's money, alright? I'm taking care of my business and I'm taking care of my son-."

"And how are you gonna do that if you end up behind bars?"

I point at her with pure anger in my eyes, "I'm not going back! Listen, you aren't my fucking girl! You can't tell me how to run this shit. Jackson is gonna learn one way or another. I know he's too young now but he's my legacy and will be taking my place when I can't do it anymore."

"Over my dead body," She spoke through her teeth. I walked closer to her until I was inches away, she titled her head up to look me in the eyes.

"What was that, sweetheart?" I state rhetorically.

"Over. My. Dead. Body." She blankly stated. "I will do everything in my power while I'm still breathing to prevent Jackson from taking over." I let out a small chuckle before nodding down at her. "Get out." She turned around and headed to Jackson's room.

~~~
Austin

"Cut the power and she'll call him first. Take him out when he comes runnin'." I plop down in the empty chair across from Jack.

"Man, how do you know she'll call him first." Jack passed me the blunt and sat back.

I inhale and held the sweet nectar in my lungs, "Come on man. We both know you would call Rose if something went down, some sweet comfort. I know his first baby mama will call him. Who protected her over the years? He did. Her new man is out of town." He let out a deep chuckle before shaking his head.

"Fuckin' spy bro. Constantly everywhere."

"I got eyes and ears all over town. If he thinks he can come into my fuckin' town and try to take over? He's got a new thing comin'."