Chapter Twelve

Jackson was not a big fan of strangers. Josh and I taught him very well, he was always smarter then kids his age. He saw the world differently, and I was proud of him for that. But on the note of not being okay with strangers, Jackson did not talk to Max, not once. He saw him not one word came out of Jackson's mouth. Josh tried to get him to say something to himself or me. It didn't work.

Once we got out of the car Jackson leaped onto my side. I picked him up and held him while walking in. He was very small for his age. He would get fuller easier then anyone. His stomach was shrinking a little every month we went to the doctors. I would always try to take him but I could never make it work with my jobs. Josh was the one who normally took him to the appointments.

"Mommy, who is the strange person with daddy?" He held onto my shoulder while watching Josh walk ahead of us with Max. I smile softly.

"Honey, remember that boy I told you about awhile ago, I have a few photos with him too. You've seen them. Remember son?" I saw the confusion on his face knowing that didn't answer his question yet.

"Yeah,"

"Well remember when I told you that little boy went to heaven a long time ago?" He nods. "This strange man is that boys father. He came to see us. And I have another thing to say."

"What's that." I started to choke up a little.

"Your real daddy, well, that was that little boys brother. So this is your grandpa." I knew he wouldn't understand if I told him that this guy wasn't Neil's real dad. But it was the best I could get him to understand.

"He isn't a stranger?" I shook my head. Max held the door open for us and we walk in.

"Thank you." I smile at Jackson as he starts to talk. I place him down and Josh wraps his arm around me. I rest my head on his shoulder while we wait for a table. Max was chatting away with Jackson now that he is talking.

We get a booth, I sat with Josh, Jackson asked to sit next to Max which made me happy. I didn't know how I felt about any of this but it felt like a real family. But it wasn't. No it was not a family. Josh was not Jackson's family. And Max was not related to Jackson.

The time we were eating I listened to their conversations. Josh talked some, I talked none. It was best that Jackson knew Max better, without his mother and father joining in. This would determine if Max stayed in his life or not. And so far it looked like that was going to happen.

"Excuse me," I smile at Max while he gets up. He went to the bathroom and cleaned up. I was watching Jackson, he was coloring. Then I heard something I barely hear. A baby crying. I bring my attention straight ahead, to a table across the room. A beautiful baby boy, only a few months old. His mother got him to stop crying right away, she got him to smile and laugh in a heart beat. How I did with my son. I couldn't stop looking. He baby boy brought his eyes to meet mine and smiled ever so softly.

Joshes arm was resting above my head on the booth. He must have seem my staring cause he asked me something, I didn't hear it the first time but I asked him what he said. He looked at me in the eyes, "You want another baby, Kat?" I didn't say one thing. "I can tell you do and I-"

"Well, it's getting late and I need to run to a few places. I already called myself a cab."

"We could've drove you Max, it was no trouble." He shook his head.

"I am okay, you have done enough for me for one day. I thank you for that. I would really like to see him again." Josh and I stand. He looks at me worriedly.

"That was okay. I can tell Jackson likes you already." I smile at Max. Josh didn't say one word.

"It was so nice to meet you Jackson, would you like to do this some other time?"

"Yeah! I want to go to the zoo to show you the animals!" I laugh lightly.

"I think we know what to do next." Everyone laughed then, even Josh. I knew he was not on board with this but he would have to get over it.

After everything was paid and after max left, we finally start to head out ourselves. Josh was talking to Jackson. I wasn't really listening this time. I was thinking about what Josh asked in the restaurant. Did I want another baby? Was Josh willing to make that happen if I did? I knew Jackson was not his responsibility but he took care of him. He took care of me. Even when I told him not too, he wanted too.

Josh helped Jackson with his bath while I started cleaning up the kitchen. I cleaned slowly, not making too my noise. Josh barely made noise when he snuck up on me. I let out a gasp and he kissed my neck. "Josh, you scared me half to death."

"I know I did. I know you get scared easily." I didn't respond to his comment. "A penny for your thoughts." I turned off the sink and dried my hands before turning around. I look him in the eyes, they were so sweet. He placed his gentle hand on my cheek and whispered my name, "Kat."

"I want another baby.." Josh didn't say one word. His actions did though. Josh picked me up holding behind my thighs tightly. His lips locked with mine and they did not stop moving.

"Josh, wait-"

"Hm?"

"Do you want one? If you are just doing this cause I want another child, please don't." He stopped me right away.

"Kat, I want another child." Another? "Jackson may not be my son, but he is. He is my son."