Chapter Seven

"Neil Westfall!" I look up from my game of cards with one of my former prisoners, a guard was standing by the door waiting for me. I stand slowly, my knees felt shabby.

"Yeah?"

"Time to go, grab your shit." I was a little lost for a few seconds. Then I remember today was my release day. I nod and go to grab everything. I said a short goodbye to a few people then leave the room with the guard. I had no handcuffs, no chains banging together, nothing dragging me down. I felt like a free man. But I really wasn't yet. Not until I was outside those doors that lead to the actual freedom.

"Strip and change into the street clothes you came in here with." The guard throws my old clothes that smelled a little moldy at me. I was starting to feel uncomfortable. All I could think is today is the day. Today is the day I can see Kat, today is the day I can meet my child. What if she didn't keep it? My heart started to pound. I wouldn't be able to handle it if she gave my child away. I would do anything I could to find it. I would fight till the end.

After I went through the process I was finally done. They gave me everything I came in with. Phone which was dead, wallet, they took my gun and knife. I can understand why. But I didn't even care, I just wanted to see my family, the club too. I knew not all of them got caught with charges. Some of the members had a clear slate. I never pushed anyone to do anything they really didn't want to do. But I also didn't trust those who didn't try to help for the club.

"I don't want to see you back here Westfall. You here me?" I look up to see Burt, one of the guards. He helped me around the prison for the 4 years I was in here. I had 7 years but good behavior gets you out of this shit hole a lot faster. I felt terrible I didn't let Kat see me. I just couldn't handle it. I didn't want her to see me like this. I knew I would have to do a lot to have her forgive me. But I was okay with that.

Burt walked me to the gate of the prison. I stopped, thinking of everything. I don't even have a ride to where I want to go. I have barely any cash. I didn't know if Kat was waiting for me with my child. I should have called her or something. Let her talk to me at least once. But no, I couldn't let her see me like this. I am a man. She can't see me weak, she has seen too much of that already. I felt like a disappointment, I turn around to go back. Honestly I should have been in that hell hole for a longer time. Burt stops me.

"I'll take you where ever you need to go Neil. I know you are scared but you can't run back to prison." He patted my shoulder already ready to go. I felt a little pathetic right then and there.

I walk out of the prison with Burt. Nothing was said. I just followed him to his Jeep. I looked at the car for a second. Then looked at Burt confused. "What the hell is this shit?"

"What do you mean?" I put my hands in my pocket and stare. "It's my jeep, what's wrong with it?"

"What's right with it?" He laughed a little then heading for the divers side.

"Get the hell in you criminal." I smile softly then walk myself to the passenger's side.

"I'm not behind bars anymore Burt. Can't treat me like a convict." We both get into the jeep and sit there for a second.

"Well, where too?" My lips part a little forgetting what was going on. I forgot what it was like on the outside even though it has only been a few years. I didn't know if Kat was going to be in the apartment or with Trevor. What if she isn't even around anymore. What if she left me.

"Bismark." If Kat is where Trevor is then I know their in Bismark. I look down at my jeans that was four years old, blood. I could see blood on them. My brain focuses back on that night. As if it was yesterday. I could hear Kat yelling and crying. She begged me not to do it. I should have listened to her.

"Neil?" I move my focus back to reality and look at the road. "You really want to go back to where your club is?"

I take a deep breath then look out the window, "I'm still president, aren't I? I have to go back."

After about an hour of driving we finally pull up to the club house. Barely any bikes were in the parking lot. I know still many of the members were in prison. I also know that means their bikes were in storage or in their garage at their houses with their families. Some members got hard time until I talked to the agent about shortening their sentence. Lucky for me I was best buddies with agent Smith. He did anything I asked.

"Westfall you need to keep yourself in check. I don't want to see you back there again for the third time." Yes, it was true. That was my second time in prison. I've known Burt since I was 18.

"People have a habit of telling me that." We both laugh at the same time.

"Maybe you should listen to everyone Neil. You should really get out of the game. You have a family now, don't you? Take care of them, be a family man." I laughed thinking he was joking around. "Neil, I'm not kidding. Please take everyone's advice." I nod understanding but I couldn't just leave the club. I was maybe gone for a few years but I managed to run most of the clubs problems from inside prison without anyone finding out.

"Thanks man. I appreciate it. Thank you for taking me up here too. Drive back safe." We give each other a small hug and I pat his back a couple of times.

"Keep in touch."

I hop out of the car while saying, "Alright man. See you later." I watch Burt drive away before going inside the club house. I started to think about Kat even more now that he said something about being a family man. That thought drove me straight inside the club house to find her. But once I was in there I couldn't believe what I was seeing.