Chapter Forty-Eight

Neil

I get home from the meet up with Rose. I felt comfortable with where we landed on our relationship. But now, I had to deal with another relationship. I wasn't sure if I was ready for this one. I knew I loved Kat. I knew what I came here to do. But everything was changing so quickly. My relationship with Jackson was perfect, even though he didn't know I was his father. I promised myself that I will tell him one day.

It's been almost two months since he has seen Josh. They still talk on the phone every night. And Kat? Well, she has changed drastically with me. We would do great at coparenting. I just had to figure out a way for Jesse to forget everything I told him. That was another issue I had to deal with.

I walk through the door and see Kat sitting on the couch. She was on her phone. I noticed her thumbs moving, she was texting. Most likely texting Josh. I knew they were in contact. I didn't want her to feel like a prisoner but Josh definitely was. He didn't step one foot out the door of the rental.

"Mornin'." I say as she didn't pay any attention to me. I took my shoes off and approached her. "I think we need to talk," I sat next to her.

"You're right. Last night was a mistake, Neil. I was drinking last night and I've been stressed with work, not being able to see Josh-"

I cut her off. "You're not wrong." She quickly shut up. "It was a mistake." Her lips were parted as she was surprised with my answer. "Everyday while I was in prison, all I thought about was getting out to get back to you. The second I found out you left with my son.." I paused to take a moment.

"Neil," I shook my head at her.

"Let me finish. I was so angry with you that I made a couple bad decisions. But along the way, I met someone. Her name is Rose. I just thought it was a distraction from you. I tried to persuade myself that it was. But I caught it for her. Before I knew it, I was telling her stuff about me that you don't even know. I have to be honest," I laughed lightly while thinking about the old times with Kat. "I love you, I do. You were the first to really be apart of my life. I will always love you for baring our child. But.. I can't hold on to the past."

She took a moment before she spoke. As if she was choosing the right words. "What does that mean, Neil?" I grabbed her hand before looking her in the eyes again.

"I'm okay with you and Josh being together." She gasped.

"Are you okay?" She squeezed my hand tight.

"For the first time in a long time, I am okay. It's gonna take some time for me to get used to this but I'll be okay with it. If Rose and I don't work out, well, I'm not gonna stop you and Josh." She smiled big and grabbed me for a tight hug. "I just have one request," I say into the hug.

"What is it?"

"I need Jackson to know I'm his real dad. I have no problem with Josh treating him like his son. After all, he did raise him with you. But I'm here now and I told you I'm not going anywhere." She sighed while pulling away.

"Does this mean Josh can come back?" I nodded as she looked down at her hands while thinking about this.

"I want him to know. Today." Her head shot up. I didn't say anymore as I let her decide.

Minutes go by before she caved. "Okay, I'll pick him up from school and we can tell him together."

"Thank you," she smirked. I was confused at her action.

"This Rose really got you changing, huh? You must really like her?" I roll my eyes and look forward. I was trying to avoid her stare. "I mean, this really came out of nowhere. How long have you guys been seeing each other?"

"Shut up," She giggled and stood. I watched her walk into the kitchen.

~~~

I sat on the couch nervously waiting for Kat to bring back Jackson from school. He was young and maybe he wouldn't understand the situation. Was this a mistake? He talks about all the stuff Josh and him do on the weekends while mommy is at work. I wanted to be that for him.

I hear the car pull up, I quickly stood and waited for the both of them. The second they walk through the door, Jackson smiles big and ran over to me. I kneel down to give him a hug.

"How was school, buddy?" I act like I am beating him up as he laughs along.

"Good! We watched a piler turn into a butterfly!" I give him my shocked face.

"No way! That's so awesome," I laugh and stand back up to face Kat. Her eyes showed me worry but she nodded at me. "Listen, man. We gotta talk."

"About what?" His tiny face scrunched up as he ran to the couch and jumped up. I cleared my throat for Kat to step in right about now.

"Well, baby." She sat right next to him as I sat on the opposite side. "You know how Josh is your dad?"

"Yeah! I love dad!"

"Well, he is actually your step dad." He narrowed his eyebrows. I knew he wouldn't understand. This was a mistake. I scratch the back of my head and close my eyes.

"Who is my real daddy then?" My head shot up to Kat, in confusion.

"Um, well," A tear fell from her cheek. I knew this was hard for her. "Neil is your real daddy." She wiped her tear away as Jackson looked up at me. I smile softly down at him.

"Mommy. It's okay, you don't have to cry." He hugged her by the waist. "I love step dad still." She exhaled in relief. He looked at me before hugging me as well. "I love you too, daddy." That was the first time he called me dad. It felt like everything in time stopped just for me to embrace this moment.

"Do you have any questions for us, Jackson?" I ask as he pulls himself from me.

"When does step dad come home?" I smile down at him then up at Kat. This wasn't the perfect family but this is the one I have.

"He'll be back for dinner tonight."