Prologue

The first time I made my appearance in the world, I came yelling and crying like the rest of us. The date was October 15th, 2000. You'd think that would be a sentimental event in my parents' life. It really wasn't...

I'm not going to tell you some sob story about how my parents disliked me from the moment I was born because it was the complete opposite. They love me, despite the annoying habit I had when I was younger, which included pissing everyone off to see where they would draw the line.

The reason why it wasn't a sentimental moment for them is because, first of all, it was pretty chaotic. I wasn't due for another three weeks so my parents simply weren't ready for her water to break and for me to pop out like the surprise gift I am. When I did pop out they probably expected my parents to be all sweet and smiley and cuddly with me and each other, but no.

They were full of laughter as they held me for the first time. And now you may think it was because I looked super ugly or something and that's why they laughed. Wrong again.

They were laughing because I was due three weeks later, but I still insisted on arriving the day after my mother's best friend had her baby and the day before her son's third birthday. Meaning our birthdays come right after each other. And that really isn't that funny, I know...

But the thing is — my dad grew up with his best friend, of course their wives would become equally good friends. Since then they had always said that they wanted to have kids at the same time, preferably a boy and a girl so that they could marry and they could be family and be grandmothers to the same kid. The first time they had children, they were born the same year and they were both boys, introducing Lorenzo and Jules. Then my mum's best friend just didn't tell my mum or something because three years prior to me, Charles was born on October 16th, 1997. I'm sure he was a mistake since my mum didn't match him with a child of hers. But the second time they got pregnant at the same time, they did not only match us up by three weeks, but it was a boy and a girl.

For the first couple years there was a lot of hope in me and Arthur. He popped out October 14th, 2000 and I showed up early, making sure to pop out October 15th, only 16 hours after Arthur, but those 16 hours are his entire ego.

My mum and dad laughed because they thought it was hilarious that they managed the timing and they were ecstatic that I was a girl.

Growing up, however, it didn't take our parents long to realize that even if we were only three at the time, there was no way we would ever get married when we grew up. Not because we hated each other, but because we liked each other too much.

We were inseparable. For years and years to come.