Chapter 24.

I don't know where the boys went or what they did up until dinner, but when they tried to get into the room, Evie told them to piss off. She asked me to talk to her about it and I did, as much as I could and was willing to admit to myself. It did hurt that he just left to talk to his ex and now they're smiling in the backyard. It does make me jealous that he ran downstairs as soon as I told him that she was here. I told her that I felt resentment towards her as soon as I remembered her face after I opened the door. She listens patiently, letting me rant, telling me she's not even fifty percent of what I am. Still, I find myself with this huge pit in my stomach.

This is Jules' godson, my best friends' brother, my childhood friend, my brother's best friend, and Pascale's son. There's so much about him that makes me feel guilty for even thinking that maybe, just maybe I have feelings for him.

"Of course you have and I've known it since France, stop that nonsense!" Evie almost yells at me when I tell her that I'm afraid I might've developed a crush on him. I know she's been asking me and I guess I've been too transparent. If she's noticed, maybe he has too? Maybe he was just being kind? Evie grabs my hands, "We don't know if they're getting back together, they might just be making peace," She suggests and I play with the thought for a bit.

"Yeah, well, even if that's the case, I have no interest in telling him and risking 18 years of friendship," I tell her and stand up from the bed, suddenly feeling the urge to put on some real clothes. "Jules wouldn't approve, Arthur would find it awkward and Charles might get thrown off completely, it's not worth risking."

"Charles wouldn't get thrown off and I doubt that Arthur would care!" Evie argues, "You've been telling me to not care about what Max thinks and I'm telling you to do the same... well not Max caring but you know... the rest."

"He's currently cuddling with his ex, I think it's settled that I'll be keeping my distance," I tell her, going into my wardrobe to change. I get dressed in black linen pants with a black tank top to still feel relaxed but still dressed. I then head downstairs to help Pascale with dinner, completely set on not letting my feelings show to anyone other than Evie. Charles will never know about the jealousy I'm fighting with. He will never know I cared about any of the moments that gave me butterflies.

Charles doesn't mention Lucie's visit for the rest of the summer break. We continue with our routine every morning, but we are never too close. He apologizes when accidentally brushing past me and touching me. I don't see as much of his dimples anymore, not when he's looking at me anyway. Everything is back to the way it was during my visits when I still lived in Sweden.

Towards the end of the summer break, Pierre had to leave to go home and visit his actual family for a few days. So the last day in Monaco he and Evie had to go away and talk about their whole situation and what to do with Max. I was rooting for them to come back hand in hand and tell me they were a couple but instead I had Arthur bothering me as I tried to read in the backyard.

"Avez-vous quelqu'un d'autre à déranger en ce moment?" Don't you have anyone else to disturb right now? I ask him.

"Non, tu es la personne que je préfère déranger, ça ne changera jamais," No, you're my favorite person to bother, that'll never change.

"Qu'en est-il de ton frère?" What about your brother?

"Je préférerais être avec toi," I'd rather be with you, "Je ne t'ai pas vraiment eu seul depuis un moment," I haven't really had you alone for a while.

I chuckle at him and put my book upside down in the grass, "Pourquoi aurais-tu besoin de moi seul," Why would you need to have me alone?

"Tu es mon meilleur ami, pourquoi ne voudrais-je pas que tu sois seul?" You're my best friend, why wouldn't I want you alone?